New AMC Hut in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was staying at MHT's Poplar Stream Hut new years eve and talked to a woman who preferred AMC's Little Lyford camps to MHT's huts, just because of the sauna. No no mention of cost to stay there?

My only experience with AMC's huts are Madison Spring and Lakes of the crowds. I enjoyed the company of the through hikers staying in the dungeon and those working for stay, more than the guests who paid to stay at Lakes. I felt like a sardine sleeping in the bunks at Lakes.

I was staying at MHT's Poplar Stream Hut new years eve and talked to a woman who preferred AMC's Little Lyford camps to MHT's huts, just because of the sauna. No no mention of cost to stay there?

My only experience with AMC's huts are Madison Spring and Lakes of the crowds. I enjoyed the company of the through hikers staying in the dungeon and those working for stay, more than the guests who paid to stay at Lakes. I felt like a sardine sleeping in the bunks at Lakes.

I wonder if MHT will add saunas when they build more lodges?

There are two in the planning stages, now. I woukd like to see more amenities like that.

Well, I'm part of the paying crowd so you probably won't like me very much but amenities like saunas cost money and I doubt the dungeon crowd appreciates the additional cost. It didn't seem long ago when the expectation for back country facilities was a bunk, meals or preparation area and a privy. Can't complain about the newer amenities though, 'cept for the cost.

As for Medawisla, I can't believe it's been 11 years since the AMC took it over. I made group reservations for 3 cabins with the previous owners and on the date of the start of our stay the AMC took it over. There were 11 of us and one of the cabins was large enough for all of us to share meals ... all of us exceeded our food preparation responsibilities and we wound up with 11 dozen eggs for 4 days.

If paddling 2nd Roach Pond, get dropped off at 3rd Roach Pond and paddle back. It includes about a mile of the Roach River, flatwater and at times quite shallow, a couple beaver dams which I presume are still there if not expanding and opportunity for good wildlife, including moose, sightings. That stretch of the Roach River ... my cousin said it eloquently ... "remind me next time I go paddling with Stan to bring my hiking boots".