How bad are Car Break Ins at Long Trail trailhead parking lots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
Does anyone have a sense of whether break ins are worse in VT than in the Whites. I'm thinking particularly of Journey's End, Hazen's Notch, Kelley Stand (aka Arlington Stratton) and Rt. 7 (for Lye Brook).

Many Thanks!

A couple of years back I parked at all of those in the course of section hiking the trail over the span of three years. We had heard some talk about break-ins at a lot north of Smuggler's Notch, but in all the folks we encountered, we never heard of any mention, and I never saw any broken glass or cause for worry.

I think what happens with a lot of trails is that there's a break-in once, or some drug addict goes on a spree for a while before getting caught, and then the reputation of that lot goes on for years and years.

For whatever that was worth, which, upon reflection, wasn't much!

Brian

When I did the LT I had no problems at all with the parking areas. And I'm not hearing anything around Vermont about it being rampant or a problem. I think you should be reasonably safe.