A Thread About Favorite Mountains!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts here. Great comments and stories. I wanted to add another. I've always loved the Tripyramids. From the first time I hiked them on the slide route, I found the North Slide simply awesome. The mountain ridge seems so steep from most approaches and I tend to really like sharp, narrow, wooded, boreal ridges. I actually like East Osceola for the same reason.

I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts here. Great comments and stories. I wanted to add another. I've always loved the Tripyramids. From the first time I hiked them on the slide route, I found the North Slide simply awesome. The mountain ridge seems so steep from most approaches and I tend to really like sharp, narrow, wooded, boreal ridges. I actually like East Osceola for the same reason.

I also love the ridgelines that connect peaks, always such cool terrain. Some of my favorites, Star King to Waumbec, North to South Twin (fern heaven) Hancock Ridge, and yes, the Osceola Ridge is another great one.

I also love the ridgelines that connect peaks, always such cool terrain. Some of my favorites, Star King to Waumbec, North to South Twin (fern heaven) Hancock Ridge, and yes, the Osceola Ridge is another great one.

Martha's Mile on Cherry connecting Martha and Owl's Head.

I just got back from a hike of East Osceola. That narrow wooded ridgewalk was pretty cool. Cold and windy up there, though. How is that a moderate hike?

Go do Adams which is rated difficult, Osceola is a lot easier, hence the moderate rating.

Took the Airline Trail to Adams a few weeks ago. Although it was long, it was easier. Maybe not easier, but not as steep. I wouldnt think length of trail would add to the difficulty rating that much.

Took the Airline Trail to Adams a few weeks ago. Although it was long, it was easier. Maybe not easier, but not as steep. I wouldnt think length of trail would add to the difficulty rating that much.

One of the major factors is elevation gain. Adams is like 4000ft, that gives it a hard rating. Don't get me wrong East sure is steep. I've used full crampons on it, on some winter ascents.

One of the major factors is elevation gain. Adams is like 4000ft, that gives it a hard rating. Don't get me wrong East sure is steep. I've used full crampons on it, on some winter ascents.

I've heard the top part of the trail on East Osceola described as one of the most challenging non technical hiking trails in winter in the Whites simply due to the drop at the start. I use full crampons there as well. It's often a steep bobsled track, all iced out and can be pretty exhilarating in the right conditions. Takes one by surprise especially in low snow, high ice years. But for the record I find Adams a level above in overall challenge as well.

I didnt think about hiking either Osceola or Adams in the Winter. In Winter, I can see where a trail like Airline, with so much exposure above treeline, would be much more difficult than East Osceola, which is much more sheltered until you get to the ridge. The descent into the chute at the top was scary enough when it was wet. Reminded me of Saddle Trail on Katahdin a bit.

I didnt think about hiking either Osceola or Adams in the Winter. In Winter, I can see where a trail like Airline, with so much exposure above treeline, would be much more difficult than East Osceola, which is much more sheltered until you get to the ridge. The descent into the chute at the top was scary enough when it was wet. Reminded me of Saddle Trail on Katahdin a bit.

I don't think the ratings are seasonal, but you make a good point. Adams is much more dangerous in the winter. Exposure, route finding, fall potential, better chance of extreme weather. Aside from being steep, East peak is relatively safe to climb in the winter. East is harder then it needs to be for most, strictly because Micro-spikes are now the "only" traction many carry, Quite frankly, with a good pair of crampons, East isn't that tough.

I don't think the ratings are seasonal, but you make a good point. Adams is much more dangerous in the winter. Exposure, route finding, fall potential, better chance of extreme weather. Aside from being steep, East peak is relatively safe to climb in the winter. East is harder then it needs to be for most, strictly because Micro-spikes are now the "only" traction many carry, Quite frankly, with a good pair of crampons, East isn't that tough.

Agree with that. I still don't get why people try to use the least effective traction for a given hike. Life is so much easier just taking out the crampons and walking right up or down the trail instead of screwing around going in and out of the trees, taking chances on steep areas, etc. I wore crampons when I did my Winter East Osceola/Osceola trip and it was fine, even on a very scratchy and scraped off day.

... Life is so much easier just taking out the crampons and walking right up or down the trail instead of screwing around going in and out of the trees, taking chances on steep areas, etc. I wore crampons when I did my Winter East Osceola/Osceola trip and it was fine, even on a very scratchy and scraped off day.

Remember the spring of 2016, when most steep trails were thick flows of blue ice? Early that May, I took to E. Osceola with sharp crampons and two ice tools, resolving to stay on the track rather than push through the woods, lunging from veggie hold to veggie hold. Even with the ice gear, it still felt sketchy. At a couple of steep points including the choke point near the ridge, smooth rock was showing through right at spots where I really would have liked some ice to bite into. I took it as an impressive demonstration of how even slight nuances in the conditions can make a significant difference.

Last edited:
Agree with that. I still don't get why people try to use the least effective traction for a given hike. Life is so much easier just taking out the crampons and walking right up or down the trail instead of screwing around going in and out of the trees, taking chances on steep areas, etc. I wore crampons when I did my Winter East Osceola/Osceola trip and it was fine, even on a very scratchy and scraped off day.
There sometimes can be a reason. The first time I went up East Osceola in the winter I was with my Airedale Duffy who hiked off lead and I wore full crampons and had my ice axe. I remember passing a group at the slide. They were wearing snowshoes and had decided to turn around there as they were afraid of sailing off into the wild blue yonder. As I remember they were the older type snowshoe with just the simple claw. After Duffy passed I hiked with my Welsh Terrier Lauky who had to stay on a leash. I never again wore my crampons for fear of stepping on a paw. We did all 48 in the winter with me using either my MSRs or my Hillsounds. The MSRs have enough of a perimeter outside the crampons that I felt it was reasonably safe. I do remember on East Osceola that the trip up was not bad but the trip back down was a bit wild. I managed to grab a tree as I went flying by. Coming down Willey from the east was also an adventure. But for the most part I picked my days wisely and it was not that difficult.

Not going to lie - I've had some awesome hikes in the Whites and one of my more recent winter hikes - Mt. Cabot was especially memorable but Mt. Monadnock is still one of my favorite hikes - at least in winter. I know the terrain well, and because of it's prominence and lack of other mountains around it - it gets some interesting winter weather.

Remember the spring of 2016, when most steep trails were thick flows of blue ice? Early that May, I took to E. Osceola with sharp crampons and two ice tools, resolving to stay on the track rather than push through the woods, lunging from veggie hold to veggie hold. Even with the ice gear, it still felt sketchy. At a couple of steep points including the choke point near the ridge, smooth rock was showing through right at spots where I really would have liked some ice to bite into. I took it as an impressive demonstration of how even slight nuances in the conditions can make a significant difference.

I remember the ice very, very well. I was particularly shocked at the seemingly "easy" terrain at the very bottom of many trails like 19MB, etc. There were near flat sections that had absolutely bullet proof ice that spikes didn't even seem to scratch. I did Moriah via Stony Brook that Winter and that long stretch of straight, flat walking was treacherous. It was bullet proof ice under just enough whispy powder that you couldn't tell when you'd be fine and when you'd be slip-sliding all over. After several comic "dancing" episodes and one hard fall I got off trail about 10' and walked in the snow/brush. In the last section near the parking lot it was just solid ice and icy tree roots. I was literally hanging off trees wearing microspikes despite the nearly flat terrain. Found this section 10 times worse than all the ice bulges I strided over with confidence in crampons in the upper sections. I guess it is all that subtle variation that adds to the fun and danger of Winter hiking.

I remember the ice very, very well. I was particularly shocked at the seemingly "easy" terrain at the very bottom of many trails like 19MB, etc. There were near flat sections that had absolutely bullet proof ice that spikes didn't even seem to scratch. I did Moriah via Stony Brook that Winter and that long stretch of straight, flat walking was treacherous. It was bullet proof ice under just enough whispy powder that you couldn't tell when you'd be fine and when you'd be slip-sliding all over. After several comic "dancing" episodes and one hard fall I got off trail about 10' and walked in the snow/brush. In the last section near the parking lot it was just solid ice and icy tree roots. I was literally hanging off trees wearing microspikes despite the nearly flat terrain. Found this section 10 times worse than all the ice bulges I strided over with confidence in crampons in the upper sections. I guess it is all that subtle variation that adds to the fun and danger of Winter hiking.

it was a interesting winter. My main issue was my dog. Now my Aussie is one of the best climbing dogs out there, but bulletproof ice challenged him to the extreme. I never trimmed his nails all winter to help him. My leash/harness system paid huge dividends in keep him from falling on really steep terrain. Many times he would stop and turn around and look at me like" dude are you sure?" lol.

it was a interesting winter. My main issue was my dog. Now my Aussie is one of the best climbing dogs out there, but bulletproof ice challenged him to the extreme. I never trimmed his nails all winter to help him. My leash/harness system paid huge dividends in keep him from falling on really steep terrain. Many times he would stop and turn around and look at me like" dude are you sure?" lol.

I didn't even think of that. Must have been really tough out there for dogs. Stupid question.....is there no such thing as "spiked booties" or traction of some sort for dogs? There seems to be so much other gear out there nowadays for dogs I'm surprised no one has thought of that.

Not going to lie - I've had some awesome hikes in the Whites and one of my more recent winter hikes - Mt. Cabot was especially memorable but Mt. Monadnock is still one of my favorite hikes - at least in winter. I know the terrain well, and because of it's prominence and lack of other mountains around it - it gets some interesting winter weather.

That Cabot hike was a memorable one. Thanks for breaking all that trail again. :)

I didn't even think of that. Must have been really tough out there for dogs. Stupid question.....is there no such thing as "spiked booties" or traction of some sort for dogs? There seems to be so much other gear out there nowadays for dogs I'm surprised no one has thought of that.

Toenails.

In all seriousness, I'm not fond of putting knives on dogs paws. That would take the ramifications of "jumping up" to a whole new level.

I can only speak for my dog, but he needs no equipment. His nails are always very sharp because we average 21+ miles road walking each week. His feet are big, if you look at my dog when he is standing on ice, his feet are raised off the ice and all his nails buried in the ice. That was just an extreme winter, it's not the ice, but the steepness that causes the issues. Not to mention, he tends to move fast and ice reading skills are not really dogs forte'.