Huntingtons Ravine Rescue Call

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Adirondacks, the 46ers are just starting a "trailhead steward" program (which I have long advocated, and am delighted to see). This puts a human at the trailhead, who can actually have a conversation with users, emphasizing a few important points. This will work, but it's expensive. This would be a good program on which to spend some state money (maybe in NH, Fish and Game fine money?).
This already exists in the WMNF, but not at every trailhead. The locations I personally know of are Appalachia, Champney Falls, and Falling Waters.

This already exists in the WMNF, but not at every trailhead. The locations I personally know of are Appalachia, Champney Falls, and Falling Waters.

Ammonoosuc Ravine is also one. There's a fifth I can't recall. The trailhead steward program has been very successful by all accounts I have heard. They report numerous people going back to cars to add essential gear or altering plans to more reasonable hikes based on their desires and experience.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/whitemountain/workingtogether/volunteering/?cid=STELPRD3797312

Ask Billski. He's pretty involved in it as a volunteer. My assumption is the ADKs are basing their program on the successful first two years of the WMNF program.

As far as signage goes, I agree with comments about over signage. I've said here before that there's a critical mass of signs just like spoken words. Write (or say) what is important in few words. Then stop. I counted 55 signs from where I stood in a pool not long ago. Give me 2-3 signs, I read. 55? Don't bother. It makes none of them important. It's the equivalent of the teacher on Peanuts who is never heard. Want people to pay attention? Use as few words as possible about what is important. Repeat.

wow. I did not know that. I actually assumed it was not allowed to hike on it. Thanks.

I used the auto rd. as an escape hatch a couple of years ago. After ascending Nelson Crag Trail and arriving at the summit later than expected, I factored in the state of my legs and the questionable forecast and chose to walk down the road to my car at the 2 mile post parking area. It was a weekday so the traffic was not relentless. Even so, you have to be alert and always ready to step off the road onto the shoulder. All in all, it was a good decision. The route was longer but I could simply march downhill with an easy stride rather pick my way down a steep trail. Purists might scoff but I know that for me, on that day, it was the right call.

Barring bad weather, there is enough light at 8 PM out to head over to the autoroad via the Alpine Garden trail before it gets dark. Far less of emergency then a rescue on the ravine trail. I expect they will be writing a check to F&G.

Correct sir! But this requires, albeit a small amount, some critical thinking skills.

Not worth a new thread yet but there was another rescue in the ravine this weekend. I expect its not the first of the summer season.

I've walked down the down he auto road after ascending Lion's head when only a few inches of snow was on the ground in November. It was slick enough to make the trails slow going, however, not enough to fill in between all the rocks. A couple of guys were descending with minor leg injuries. Had we descended a trail, it would have been much slower. The road had some drifts and a few bare spots as you may expect.

Weather, gear and trail knowledge had to be right for this to be a good idea, too windy and not having most of our cold weather clothing would mean being out above the trees and exposed for a few miles on the road. We were able to walk at a good pace on a road so that was a plus. It was an average November day, 20's and with a 15-20 mile wind. We also knew that the Road and the Old Jackson Road brought us back to the car. We had maps but knew which trails and options had good footing In this case, good footing was worth the extra miles. A road walk on a full moon would be nice too.

In the Adirondacks, the 46ers are just starting a "trailhead steward" program (which I have long advocated, and am delighted to see). This puts a human at the trailhead, who can actually have a conversation with users, emphasizing a few important points. This will work, but it's expensive. This would be a good program on which to spend some state money (maybe in NH, Fish and Game fine money?).

I know a lot of you on this board are not fans of the AMC but I have always found the AMC staff at the Pinkham Notch Visitors Center to be helpful in this capacity.