Northern lights viewing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshandBaron

Reaction score
Let's pretend for a second that conditions will be favorable Sunday night. What would be your preferred viewing location for the Northern Lights?

The porch at Moat, although that's my answer for almost any question about where I want to be at night.

This question needs some more info, which I think is why no one has answered. In Mass, in NH, for someone backpacking in the Whites, for someone in North Conway, Lincoln?

In I'm in North Conway and staying at Subsig, Moat.
If I'm backpacking, stay at Guyot and hump up to Bond.
In Ipswitch, the beach?
In Lincoln, I suppose one could hike up to the tower atop Mt, Cannon.

Brian

Lack of detail in the question because I'm curious if folks have favorite spots anywhere in New England with favorable views north and minimal light pollution. I suppose the Whites are preferred. Hike length not an issue. Thanks.

I have been in the whites since 1987. I have seen two classic northern lights events. The major caveat is many of the Northern Lights photos and occasionally videos you will see are "enhanced" based on the equipment used to record it. Sure you may get lucky but consider the aurora a great bonus to a night hike rather than the sole purpose. That said I have heard from a few folks that the Mahoosucs (Goose Eye, North Goose Eye and the ridge line west of Fulling Mill Mtn along with the Speck Fire Tower are a very good spot as these peaks are East of the "spine" of the whites. It comes down that the areas north of these locations, Success and Cambridge is mostly relative lowlands and eventually it transitions to the Androscoggin River Valley and Lake Umbagog thus there is little clutter in the foreground. There is far less light pollution although the Berlin Federal prison is to the NW. I have also heard Mt Aziscohos is also very good from folks who camp up in Wilson Mills.

This evening's TV weather forecast suggested that the aurora would be visible from southern NH to Canada. (Just his guess--no one can predict auroras with high accuracy.) He suggested that the Whites area would be a good viewing place and around midnight might be a good time.

As already noted, a good view north with a low horizon and a minimum of light-polluting population to the north would be good. A high viewing spot would also help. (Mt Washington summit might be good if clouds and authorities permit...)

3-day aurora predictions: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-3-day-forecast
30-minute aurora predictions: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

I have seen an overhead aurora from the trail below Whitehorse Ledge (North Conway area), but it was many many years ago...

Doug

Last edited: