Lost hiker Dry River Trail area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
At least the nights haven't been too cold - ? That vast area is like a swamp/jungle!!!! Very rugged and huge banks from TS Irene.......... scary if he got lost or injured there!!!! So weird that they found his campsite and gear - ??????

There were two high water events between the date he went into the woods and when they started searching. Not a good combination in that area.

They got over 3 inches of rain that Saturday. Would be curious to know which site he was using.

Was up in Acadia over that rain.. wasn't there some lightning strikes and blows as well? got home in Lancaster and was amazed what we saw and we missed it all. No cell etc up at Acadia..

Was up in Acadia over that rain.. wasn't there some lightning strikes and blows as well? got home in Lancaster and was amazed what we saw and we missed it all. No cell etc up at Acadia..

I was out in the Sandwich Range during it. There were some microbursts and tornado warnings. That area got some of the worst of the rain, I think.

They got over 3 inches of rain that Saturday. Would be curious to know which site he was using.

According to the Facebook post, his tent was found at the junction of the Dry River and Mt. Clinton trails. The post also said he was the Ocean City (NJ) Sierra Club chapter president.

According to the Facebook post, his tent was found at the junction of the Dry River and Mt. Clinton trails. The post also said he was the Ocean City (NJ) Sierra Club chapter president.

Oof. Would not want to be on the wrong side of the river there with the water coming up. News article made it sound like he was up by the shelter. 4 hours seems like an awfully long time to go 2.5 flat miles

I realize the area was closed for a few years but I'm not sure the Dry River Trail qualifies as a whack.

Maybe not a bushwhack but that area gets tons of blowdowns. Not sure if any maintenance was done yet this year or what kind of damage the storms did. Could have been tough going even on the trail.

I just recently hiked all of the trails (redlining) three weeks ago. Trails were not too bad (except Mt. Clinton Tr.). But the water was only running at 500-550 cfs, and we still had to ford the river to get over to the Mt. Clinton Tr. On FaceBook... if you go to the Pemi Valley S&R, it looks like they've been combing rivers and the river bank... very sad.

found 1/2 mile from his tent. Just wondering - when they found his tent last week, did they not have dogs with them that could aid the search? Is deployment of cadaver dogs and/or dogs that could find a person by the smell of his items (the found tent) not a standard procedure when conducting a search?