First 46er...Big Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi All,

Am planning on hiking Big Slide soon (from the Garden via the Brothers and maybe Slide Mt. Brook on return) and was wondering if anyone has done this with their dog. Kinda a new dog owner, have hiked plenty with him on Long Island but not yet in High Peaks of Cats or Daks.

Would it be better going in towards JBL then up Slide Mt. Brook with same return?

My biggest concern is safety for the dog.

If neither good, can anyone recommend a 46er that fine for dog...10 miles max r.t.

Your 2 cents greatly appreciated!

Chris

A reasonably capable dog will have no trouble on Big Slide. There are no difficult rock scrambling sections - IIRC there is one short easily managed ladder near the summit.

Most dogs are pretty amazing in what they can handle. Of routes in the 46, the only ones I would stay away from might be Cliff (actual cliffs); Saddleback from the west side (actual cliffs); Armstrong from the UWJ side (a cliff and a big long ladder), Seward from the north (many difficult rock scrambles); and Sawteeth via the scenic trail (many ladders).

Be aware that Big Slide is in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness Area, and as such dogs are required to be on leash.

Thanks for info! Will remember that.
After more research I think we going to do Cascade and Porter though...just not sure from which side yet.

After more research I think we going to do Cascade and Porter though...just not sure from which side yet.

Keep in mind that Cascade and Porter are VERY busy, especially on weekends and nice weather days. Just in case your pup gets overwhelmed and distracted by crowds.

If you want to rub shoulders with many other hikers, choose the north side, the Cascade Mountain Trail. Parking is free at any of the four pull-offs or along the highway's shoulder (careful, it's a busy road).

If you only want to meet other hikers on the summits, start from the south side, the Little Porter Mountain Trail. Parking is $10/car at the Garden. If the lot is full (very likely on a summer weekend), they have overflow parking a few miles away (Marcy Field Parking Area) and a shuttle bus to take you to the Garden. However, the bus costs $10/person. Alternately, start from the east, at the Marcy Field Parking Area and head west along the Porter Ridge Trail. This route involves more ascent than the others but it's a lovely trail with less traffic.

FWIW, there's another, albeit longer, approach to Big Slide and that's from the west. You park at South Meadows (free), hike east along the Klondike Notch Trail and head to Big Slide by going over Yard. I'm not going to scam you and say it's as scenic as via The Brothers Trail (far from it) but you're unlikely to meet many other people along the way (if any). I hiked it recently and it was an interesting change from the trade-routes to Big Slide.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...very helpful info!
We wound up doing Cascade and Porter from the north.
You right...tons of people. But the views were outstanding!
Can't say it was fun keeping the dog on the leash though but rules are rules.
Thanks again!