Blueberries in NH/Western Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurtisT

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the blueberry crop is shaping up this year in the Whites and southern New Hampshire? I'm planning to head up for some berry picking on 7/29 and I'm wondering where the berries might be peaking at that time.

Last year I picked a gallon up on North Pack on 7/30, and it seemed like that was just about the peak of the season up there. But, this seems to have been a cooler and wetter season thus far, so I am not sure if that would have delayed things.

So, if anyone has recommendations for hikes that are likely to be loaded with berries in a week and a half, I'd love to hear them! While stocking up on berries is the priority (I'm hoping to get at least a couple quarts), ideally I would love to go somewhere that is a great hike as well (i.e. Baldface Loop?). Thanks for any input!

I think its going to be late season for blueberries. Rumford White Cap is long drive from Boston but hard to beat for Berries. The Percys up in Nash Stream also has a great rep for berries. Both are not long hikes.

I think its going to be late season for blueberries. Rumford White Cap is long drive from Boston but hard to beat for Berries. The Percys up in Nash Stream also has a great rep for berries. Both are not long hikes.

Was up on Rumford Whitecap two Sundays ago. Managed to find a couple handfulls of berries ripe enough to pick. Probably pretty good picking by now.

Pleasant Mt (Shawnee Peak) in Bridgton ME. Open, ledgy section full of berries just above the ski area. Blueberries on my property in Southern Oxford County ME are ripening now, but this at low elevation; they are later than past years

Was up on Rumford Whitecap two Sundays ago. Managed to find a couple handfuls of berries ripe enough to pick. Probably pretty good picking by now.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I've heard great things about the berries up on Rumford Whitecap. If it is looking like they should be ripe by then, I might just have to finally make the trip.

Its a long Haul from Boston but definitely a real unusual mountain worth a visit. If you are in the area I can point you to the directions for Sunday River Whitecap secret trail.

Like any other wild berry spots Whitecap varies from year to year. I am optimistic as berries need water and the current weather pattern has kept things a lot more watered than last year. I went last year and it was below average year as it was drought. Still worth the hike but I had to work to get a gallon. Some years they are so prolific that folks were raking them using ATVs to transport the berries. I have picked 3 gallons in the past without moving more than about a 150 feet. The majority of the summit was bought by a land trust so no ATVS anymore but still lots of folks walking up. The other reason I like it is that there are four distinct berry types (which all have distinct scientific names but I lump them together as "blueberries". There are the tart alpines like you find above treeline, a distinct black variety that to me is the tastiest, the standard blue variety, and a "silver" variety that appears to be a variety of the standard blueberries. They look silver when picked but the silver/white rubs off once picked. Just bring sunscreen and deerfly patches for your hat. There is no water on top.

Sounds excellent, and it looks like a beautiful and unique mountain to boot. Given the drive, I don't expect to visit Sunday River Whitecap this trip, but I'd be interested in those directions for another time.

That seems to be the case in central New Hampshire, where we've seen an abundance of blueberries this year on our hikes -- and good-sized, too.

That's good to hear! What is the timing looking like in Central NH? Are they ripe yet? Do they look like they'll be good for this weekend or next?

I may have a friend coming up from CT to join me on the 29th, in which case Rumford Whitecap would probably be too far of a drive.

I look for the pickers alongside RT2 in my town, when I see them out working the berries patches along the highway its time to head up to Whitecap.

For blueberries I highly recommend Hubbard Hill (access via service road starting at Pitcher Mountain parking area) - I call it Blueberry Capital of New Hampshire! The entire hill is covered in blueberry bushes criss-crossed by a labyrinth of paths. Just make sure not to loose any kids there! :)
Hubbard Hill.jpg

For blueberries I highly recommend Hubbard Hill (access via service road starting at Pitcher Mountain parking area) - I call it Blueberry Capital of New Hampshire! The entire hill is covered in blueberry bushes criss-crossed by a labyrinth of paths. Just make sure not to loose any kids there! :)
View attachment 5830

For first timers, please note that the service road can damage low clearance vehicles and that a fee is asked based on the amount picked.

Ah yes I've heard of Pitcher and Hubbard! Are they low bush or high bush blueberries there?

I did a run over to Rumford White Cap today. The berries are just about ripe. There are plenty to eat but its definitely not a super year. Of course the hike always is good.

In the Belknap range if you go up Mt. Rowe from the Gunstock Rec. area, there are many Blueberry bushes that caught my eye, there were so many. I'm not big on variety's, but I'd say most were 2 feet high. From the summit of Rowe, you take the Belknap range trail towards Gunstock mt.

I did a run over to Rumford White Cap today. The berries are just about ripe. There are plenty to eat but its definitely not a super year. Of course the hike always is good.

Hmm...if it's not a great year up there I might look elsewhere given that it is such a drive. Anyone been up the Baldface Loop and seen how the berries are looking this year? I've never done that one and have always heard great things.

Pitcher and Hubbard sound great for berries but ideally I'd love to combine my picking with a more substantial hike.

We call blueberries hiker traps. You are either hiking, or picking blueberries. One can't do both, hence the trap.

One time I took a few VFTT folks up Rumford Whitecap. I had explained that the intent was to hang around for awhile and pick berries. A few folks got impatient as their concept was eat a few handfuls and head down.

Picking low bush berries is an acquired taste, some folks acquire it and some don't. All I know is I have a gallon and a half frozen away for my cereal this winter ;). Like many other pursuits I could just go to Walmart and pick up a big bag of wild blueberries for a lot less. I consider cultivated high bush blueberries a distinctly inferior tasting berry, better than nothing but closer to "blue grapes" than real wild blueberries. They are definitely easier and faster to pick and there is commercial place not far from where I live, but it has to be a poor wild blueberry year for me to have to grudgingly go there to stock up.

I've got blueberry bushes in my yard but the birds get most of them ... which is ok with me. I have a good choice of fresh blueberries year round, some sources better than others, and they are a staple of my breakfast. Yes, the wild are generally better, and for my taste, smaller are better though they're not always wild.