Blueberries in NH/Western Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very key factor in blueberry sizing for cereal use is the size of the berry, the smaller wild blueberries will melt in the bowl with the milk while the larger ones tend to stay as frozen lumps ;)

BTW, while parked at Lincoln Woods I noticed that there are quite a few high bush blueberry plants planted around the restroom facility and in the green space in front of it.

We call blueberries hiker traps. You are either hiking, or picking blueberries. One can't do both, hence the trap.

I would have to agree, difficult to get much hiking done when you are trying to pick berries. But, the temptation to do both is too great, and now that I have my sights on finally doing the Baldface Loop I can't seem to talk myself out of it, so we are going to try to do the Baldface Loop on Saturday and make a few berry picking stops along the way. If we aren't able to get a decent haul then we may head up to Rowe, Straightback or North Pack on Sunday for some dedicated berry-picking time. At least, that's the current plan.

I was curious and made a trip to Sunday River Whitecap today. Nice hike and had the summit to myself but the blueberries were a bust. There were some especially the super low and super tart alpine berries but definitely not a place to go for blueberries.

Good to know about Sunday River, I had wondered about the berries there.

I ended up hiking the Baldface Loop yesterday, the blueberry crop was alright, but it was still too early. Some lower patches near the tree line were nice and ripe though and I managed to get a bit over a quart. There were enough to get more than that, but I was limited on time, having only about 4.5 hours for the hike.

I went up to North Pack Monadnock today on the Wapack trail, hoping to really stock up, but the crop was a bit of a bust compared to last year. I came out with just over a quart in the same amount of time it took me to get a gallon there last year. As I was heading down I heard someone comment that the berries were better over on Ted's and Carolyn's trails, but did not have time to check it out over there.

Got about a quart in half an hour with my gf and I both picking on Pleasant mountain. Lots of blueberries, but they are small. I remember larger berries in years past.

IMG_0097.jpg

Last edited:
Did Baldfaces with Eastman, Eagle Crag and Meader on Saturday - blueberries were plentiful and delicious. Did Table, Big Attitash and the Moats on Sunday - blueberries were omnipresent and outstanding :) Especially from Middle Moat to South Moat.

Tim