Hiking in Fog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iAmKrzys

Reaction score
While hiking Mt Monadnock few weeks ago I was worried about thunderstorms that were in the forecast, but instead I was greeted by fog once I reached Pumpelly Trail. This made figuring out where to go a bit challenging to say the least. It was kind of fun at the same time but I had my gps to fall back to in case I got lost!

Junction of Red Spot & Pumpelly Trails:
DSC01665.jpg

Can you spot a trail sign in the middle of the picture below?
DSC01680.jpg

While hiking Mt Monadnock few weeks ago I was worried about thunderstorms that were in the forecast, but instead I was greeted by fog once I reached Pumpelly Trail. This made figuring out where to go a bit challenging to say the least. It was kind of fun at the same time but I had my gps to fall back to in case I got lost!

Junction of Red Spot & Pumpelly Trails:
View attachment 5828

Can you spot a trail sign in the middle of the picture below?
View attachment 5829

As a former USCG Master Captain..out of Chatham Ma and many Ports around the Cape which is fogged in 100% thicker then Pea soup so often.. And a guy who Aced the Plotting exam ....GPS is a God's send... keep using it on small hikes of no importance so your always tuned it it. Learn it well..it may well save your life some day besides giving you accurate data for that hike and for planning ahead we often reflect to our past saved tracks to plan hikes. Dead Reckoning isn't my preferred route. My wife ( takes her own as well ) is proficient in it's us as well after many years of seeing my use and results all over this country on our hikes and boating uses.