Jewell Trail starting at the Cog Railroad.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Reaction score
Have not seen this anywhere so I figured I'd put it out. A Friend of mine hiked Washington on 7/9. Up the Ammo., down Jewell. Apparently the bridge at the Cog is gone again. He was talking with a Cog employee who said they rebuilt the last one but do not plan on doing it again.

Disclaimer: Second hand info. from my friend. If anyone knows more, please add.

Just to be clear, is this bridge on the spur off the Jewell Trail that comes out at the base of the Cog RR? If it's out, then I assume one needs to park at the lot further down the Base Rd? I'm looking at a Caps Ridge, Gulfside, Jewell loop over Jefferson and Clay as a possible August hike. Want to make sure we spot the car at the right trailhead. Thanks.

The bridge over the Ammonoosuc at the Cog was taken out by Irene; it's mentioned in the 29th WMG. I don't know if they rebuilt in the interim but it was gone in fall of '15 and several subsequent times I've been there. The WMG describes a route around that the Cog has now marked closed. (This might be what the cog employee was referring to.)

The approved approach is parking at the Forest Service Ammo lot down the base road a ways from the cog, across the road from the new Jewell Trail, crossing the Ammo on the bridge on that trail. It's a bit confusing because some people refer to the old route (i.e., to the cog parking) as the "Jewell Trail" and the new route (to Base Road across from the FS lot) as the "Jewell Spur" and some refer to them the other way around.

The bridge over the Ammonoosuc at the Cog was taken out by Irene; it's mentioned in the 29th WMG. I don't know if they rebuilt in the interim but it was gone in fall of '15 and several subsequent times I've been there. The WMG describes a route around that the Cog has now marked closed. (This might be what the cog employee was referring to.)

The approved approach is parking at the Forest Service Ammo lot down the base road a ways from the cog, across the road from the new Jewell Trail, crossing the Ammo on the bridge on that trail. It's a bit confusing because some people refer to the old route (i.e., to the cog parking) as the "Jewell Trail" and the new route (to Base Road across from the FS lot) as the "Jewell Spur" and some refer to them the other way around.

The bridge at the Cog railroad was rebuilt after Irene. I have been over it since. It is now gone again.

The first time I took the Jewell Trail from the Forest Service lot, I remember I rock hopped the stream then noticed after crossing it that there was bridge down stream a bit. I was wondering if it's possible to rock hop the stream up by the Cog where the bridge used to be. I gather that the Cog folks no longer permit using the former alternative trail which as I remember went over the Cog bridge then went back to the original trail. Is that correct?