True Summit Of Mt Davis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I did a loop up Rocky Branch and down Davis Path yesterday and I specifically wanted to go to the true summit of Mt Davis along the way. I had been to Mt Davis I think two Summers ago and stopped at the unofficial South summit and made a casual attempt to locate the trail to the true summit but gave up when nothing obvious presented itself. So yesterday I made more of an effort to locate a trail to the true summit and I couldn't find anything. I scanned along the edge of the South summit, watched for paths off the spur on the way up and I couldn't find anything at all.

Is the true summit actually accessed from a totally didn't spot than the posted spur path? The scrub on the summit has really grown in since I was last there and looks impenetrable from the top but it seems like there is a stretch of actual forest that could probably be traveled if you started lower on the spur or maybe from the Davis Path itself. Curious if anyone here who has actually done it might have a GPS track showing the route they took. I still had a lot of miles to cover returning to the car so I didn't take off bushwhacking but it is becoming a minor obsession of sorts to go hit the real summit.

If anyone has a GPS track it would be appreciated. Thanks.

There isn't a trail. There are often herd paths visible from the south summit over towards the true summit, but I've never had time to 'whack through.

I asked around here at one point and the 'whack from Davis down to the old shelter location is apparently thick but doable.

There isn't a trail. There are often herd paths visible from the south summit over towards the true summit, but I've never had time to 'whack through.

I asked around here at one point and the 'whack from Davis down to the old shelter location is apparently thick but doable.

I knew there wasn't a trail. Sorry. I should have clarified. I was expecting a more noticeable herd path over to the true summit. I guess most people just stop at the unofficial summit. Looks like I'll be going back again for a bushwhack at some point.