Mt. Washington Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you will like the nelson Crag trail. It's basically a steady grind straight up. It's most endearing feature, is that it's usually quiet, compared to the conga lines on the other routes. You can also visit the girl.:eek:

I look forward to it. I also haven't done Huntington yet!

Another vote for Nelson Crag Trail. I found it challenging but I loved it. Very scenic and different sections have different looks. I particularly liked the way the initial climb ends dramatically on that wide open shelf at the treeline. One of the less traveled ways to the summit for sure.

Whoa Nelly!!! This needs to be addressed in an urgent manner.:eek:

I know, I know. It's up there with King Ravine and Castle Ravine and Great Gulf head walls list. I look forward to doing each an every one of them. :)

I know, I know. It's up there with King Ravine and Castle Ravine and Great Gulf head walls list. I look forward to doing each an every one of them. :)

That's a nice punch list. I would recommend doing them when it's cooler anyway. They are long climbs and on a hot day, can be tougher imo.

No matter the weather in the Valley, weather on Mt. Washington can be a crap-shoot. Those nice fluffy clouds you see from the valley; they can mean bitter, damp and risky weather at altitude. Therefore, to me the safest is the easiest and the Ammonusuc has the advantage of Lakes of the Clouds Hut as you emerge above treeline ... from there you're not far from the summit. The "easiest" might be a partial traverse with a couple nights at huts (Madison or Mizpah and Lakes) and an AMC shuttle.