Weird Tragedy Bash Bish Falls, MA/NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was biking up from Wassaic to Catamount and stopped at the park at Bash Bish Falls. The roads were closed--I asked why..

A casual hiker slipped and fell into the falls on Friday. They were trying to recover the body on Sunday. But they failed.

The weird thing is that news reports sort of suggest that there are no further plans to attempt recovery.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bash-bish-falls-aiden-campion-pratt-new-york-man-dies-massachusetts/

Bash Bish falls is accessible from the South Taconic trail. This trail passes by the NY/MA/CT state boundary (there's a marker). The trail is accessible from a variety of marked and unmarked side trails from NY, CT, and as well as the Massachusetts Mt Washington state park (another little gem), and Bear/Brace/Mount Frissel. The trail runs roughly parallel to the AT--you can cross over at Sages Ravine and at least one other piece of state land a little north of Mt Washington State Park via an old hunting trail on public land. Good views of the Harlem Valley and the Cats, and plenty of places to do a loop by spotting a bike

How unfortunate. I suspect most of us have gone down at least once on wet slippery rocks. It all happens so suddenly and unexpectedly. Give me snow and ice any day over wet lichen and moss covered rocks. Thought for sure when I saw the thread title that some illegal swimmer(s) either jumped from the outcrop or the outcrop had let loose and crushed someone swimming. Anyone know how long the stream has been in its present configuration or how long they expect this outcrop to stay. It will be impressive when the outcrop plunges down. Hopefully the water level will subside enough at some point soon that they can retrieve the body.

How unfortunate. I suspect most of us have gone down at least once on wet slippery rocks. It all happens so suddenly and unexpectedly. Give me snow and ice any day over wet lichen and moss covered rocks. Thought for sure when I saw the thread title that some illegal swimmer(s) either jumped from the outcrop or the outcrop had let loose and crushed someone swimming. Anyone know how long the stream has been in its present configuration or how long they expect this outcrop to stay. It will be impressive when the outcrop plunges down. Hopefully the water level will subside enough at some point soon that they can retrieve the body.

I can't believe they are going to leave the body. I think there is a behind-the-scenes government battle regarding funding to get the necessary equipment or divert the flow or do whatever they need to do for a recovery.

I am reminded of the tragic death of Vermont State Police diver Sergeant Gary A. Gaboury, who drowned in Huntington Gorge in Richmond Vermont while attempting the recovery of the body of another drowning victim on May 12, 1992. These similar backcountry gorges offer unique and challenging conditions for technical rescue/recovery. I don't think that this is dictated by "a behind-the-scenes government battle," but rather by operational concerns. I feel certain that decisions in this matter will be made deliberately and carefully, as they should be.

I am reminded of the tragic death of Vermont State Police diver Sergeant Gary A. Gaboury, who drowned in Huntington Gorge in Richmond Vermont while attempting the recovery of the body of another drowning victim on May 12, 1992. These similar backcountry gorges offer unique and challenging conditions for technical rescue/recovery. I don't think that this is dictated by "a behind-the-scenes government battle," but rather by operational concerns. I feel certain that decisions in this matter will be made deliberately and carefully, as they should be.

If "operational concerns" mean "operational risks", then consider that mitigating these risks just takes time and money. In retrospect, I agree that there may have been no battle to expend resources to recover the body.

Fortunately the body has dislodged itself and been recovered. The family has closure, and the park won't become notorious, and the M.E. won't have to return from time to time.