Chic Choc tent camping in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat in January

Reaction score
So I have looked around the web with little luck. A phone call to Sepaq and a return one yielded little information as their English was as poor as my French.

I know there is a year round open campground near the Gite. long time ago I just freelance camped in winter. Stayed at the Mines a couple times in Winter, but those reservations need to happen long in advance now. Saint Anne des Monts is a good place to stay on the cheap, but wondering what the in parc options are.

Both times I stayed at the Mines there were folks tent camping nearby on through hikes. Where the mines are is in another zone from the National Parc des Gaspesie and so the rules might be different. Frustrating that Canada a bilinqual country is French only in this region for information.

Anyone know anything about winter camping there? What about fires? Woods are full of wood and winter is safe from forest fire.

Somewhat related question. Looks like the only way to go to the Western huts is to ski in. Sled assist is for luggage only. Anyone tried big push to ski in one day to Le Nyctale or La Chouette?

Never been to the Gaspe in winter but, depending on your passion, I'd highly recommend it any time of year. Maybe this link to Gaspesie National Parc will help: https://www.sepaq.com/pq/gas/.

As you mention, language can be an obstacle but many of Sepaq's websites have a button for the English version ... not always easy to find ... but many are strictly French unless your own software offers a translation. Brochures and PDF files are usually in French with no translation alternatives. The best maps are in French but pretty easy to follow once you understand the legends, adjust that a mile equals 70% of a kilometer and realize that "sentier" means trail and trail names start with "sentier".

There are a variety of accommodations open during winter, it is an attractive season at Gaspesie, but the only campground open in the Parc is at the Mont Albert sector which is a great base camp for snow shoeing and xc/bc skiing. The "refuges", basically self service huts, are also available by reservation and most sleep 8 ... though the bunks are big enough for 2 if you're romantically inclined. The refuges are the best way to tour the Chic Choc area and there is an "Auberge", a lodge, that is open during the winter. I don't know anything about freelance camping in the Parc.

I've had no problem with language booking my summer reservations. If one operator does not speak adequate English, ask or call for another.

P.S. The English button for the link is at the bottom of the drop down list of "Menu" in the heading..

Last edited:
adjust that a mile equals 70% of a kilometer

That's backwards, and not very accurate either.

1 km = approx. 0.62 mile. For mental conversion km->mile, I like to multiply the distance in km by 2/3, which is often good enough for hiking purposes. Alternatively, it's really easy to multiply the km by 0.55 (just cut in half and adjust up by 10%). As a bonus, the exact answer is halfway between those two approximations.

1 km = approx. 0.62 mile. For mental conversion km->mile, I like to multiply the distance in km by 2/3, which is often good enough for hiking purposes. Alternatively, it's really easy to multiply the km by 0.55 (just cut in half and adjust up by 10%). As a bonus, the exact answer is halfway between those two approximations.

Probably worth remembering all of these too: https://xkcd.com/1047/

Yep, I got it backwards and as for accuracy, I err on the "safe side", especially in converting kmph to mph for highway speed. I multiply the km or kmph by .7 to get my distance or speed as necessary. The difference I get by rounding up helps to account for my frequent wandering off trail.

If you're accustomed to hiking in miles, kilometers will be an ego-booster. Your total daily distance will be 60% larger than normal. :)

What can be challenging is coming to terms with altitude in meters. It's like a super-sized yard (~10% longer). If hikers in the US reported altitude in yards (Mount Washington is 2096 yards tall) then making the switch to meters would be relatively painless because the values would be close (Mount Washington is 1917 meters tall). However, because it's done in feet, the transition to meters isn't so smooth. A hundred meters initially sounds trivial until you learn it's ~330 feet. 1500-meter peaks seem kind of short until you discover they're just shy of 5000 feet.

Enjoy the Chic-Chocs!

PS
French is the primary language in Quebec. People in major cities, notably Montreal, are often bilingual (or multi-lingual). Outside of metropolitan areas, you're more like to meet people who are exclusively fluent in French. Very popular tourist sites may have bilingual staff but the average person will have difficulty communicating with you in English. Best to have a few French phrases handy and the locals will appreciate your effort (although you may not fully comprehend their response). Consider it an adventure in cultural immersion. Not unlike traveling to southern Florida or California I imagine. ;)

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses, but still not much information. I have looked at Sepaq on the web and I have tried to talk with them on the phone. I have been to the chic chocs 3x's in winter and 1x in summer so pretty familiar with area, language issues there.

Specific question: The mines hut is in a nature preserve which is outside the Gaspesie National Parc. I have seen folks camping there on several occasions. What are the rules for this zone?