Resolution Shelter/Speckled summit area - water sources?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talktapes

Reaction score
Planning on taking a friend on his first backpacking trip sometime within the next few days (if we can get a good weather window). One trip we were considering was camping out on Stairs. After doing some research it looks like the decommissioned Resolution Shelter used to have a water source. Is that source still there? Additionally I found some info indicating the shelter is directly across from where the Resolution trail meets the Davis path, is that accurate?

Another one we were considering is Speckled Mountain. I've camped off-trail up there before but was curious as to where the water source was located near the summit and how reliable it is, as I couldn't find it.

Another one we were considering is Speckled Mountain. I've camped off-trail up there before but was curious as to where the water source was located near the summit and how reliable it is, as I couldn't find it.

I camped here last September. The water source is off the summer a bit down the Red Rock trail to the small crossing, then slightly upstream (north). It was a puddle with a little trickle when we were there, but not problem getting a few liters out. A thunderstorm had popped through the day before our trip, so we might have gotten lucky with a 'refill'. I suspect most maps will show the spring.

While Forest Svc is fond of removing things - they would have hard time removing water source at former Resolution shelter. Water source is not constructed thing, but is rocky drainage from the col located not far from where shelter used to be. rocks are rearranged to form pools in various places. Even in dry season you can find water there. I know this to be true because I back packed down Davis Path from Washington one time during dry season and could only found ugliest looking water up on ridge and was suffering dehydration big-time. That water source was first place I was able to tank up. This summer has been blessed with frequent rain so you'll have frequent ops to tank up all over without having to resort to hike down to former shelter.

Last edited:
The spring at Speckled is listed on the AMC map but I was looking for directions to it in the Bickford Brook description - whoops! We ended up doing Stairs anyway and there were a couple of running streams on Davis between the ledgy section and Stairs Col. This is the wettest summer since I began three or four years ago so I tend to get very paranoid about water and camping, on past trips everything has been very dry during these types of ridge hikes. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone speak to how far off the summit of Speckled one would have to travel to hang a hammock?