Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoreau Falls Bridge Removal - 30 Comment Period for Revised Assessment

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    At the point where it endangers your life. Decision making is a skill thats tough to learn when it endangers your life.
    Personally I do not usually face a steep learning curve when something is endangering my life. Especially in the out doors. Although I have experienced other folks that their risk assessment is not well honed. As far as this bridge being removed it does further the agenda of the intent and or goals of the "Wilderness Act. Where do you draw the line for when the Government becomes responsible and not when it comes to public safety? On another note. There has been some comments here about a helicopter being used to remove materials. If so and they are flying in. Why not bring new material rather than having an empty load on the way in.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

At the point where it endangers your life. Decision making is a skill thats tough to learn when it endangers your life.
    I guess I have trouble with where that line is. Hiking is inherently dangerous and should be expected to be more difficult in areas designated as Wilderness. While they never get called into the TFT area for SAR missions with the current crossings required, they get called in to do SAR missions with some regularity for folks doing Owl's Head and having trouble with those crossings, shall we bridge them? Ban swimming at Franconia Falls? Fences on Bondcliff?

Certainly would be an even muddier line to define if The AMC had gotten it's way and landed up putting in the Hut near Ethan Pond. Something tells me they would have thrown their weight around to get the Bridge rebuilt.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

What happens when someone drowns trying to ford the river during, or immediately after a rain event? Or during early Summer? Do you put a price on one death? Two? Three? The entire point of the bridge is to prevent drowning deaths. Whenthe forest service is going to want to harvest the timber, are they going to change the Widerness designation at the whim of Congress? May as well replace the bridge. Its still a recreation area, in spite of the Wilderness designation.
    Decisions made in the backcountry fall solely on the user. If you come to a crossing, and it's unbridged. You must assess and determine the best method, place and even if you should cross at all. If there was a bridge and it comes down, see above. Nobody is forcing anyone to cross a waterway. What about the shelters that have been removed? If someone hikes out to a shelter without knowing it has been removed and based on their thinking that it is still there, have no tent. If they perish during a storm that night, is the Forest service responsible?

What happens when someone drowns trying to ford the river during, or immediately after a rain event? Or during early Summer? Do you put a price on one death? Two? Three?
    You might ask the same questions about skiing in Tuckerman's Ravine. At what point will skiing be prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    You might ask the same questions about skiing in Tuckerman's Ravine. At what point will skiing be prohibited?
    Parking lots can be a bit slippery, too. The stretch from the door to the trunk, before microspikes can be put on, is downright deadly.

What happens when someone drowns trying to ford the river during, or immediately after a rain event? Or during early Summer? Do you put a price on one death? Two? Three? The entire point of the bridge is to prevent drowning deaths. Whenthe forest service is going to want to harvest the timber, are they going to change the Widerness designation at the whim of Congress? May as well replace the bridge. Its still a recreation area, in spite of the Wilderness designation.
    Please, submit a comment to the USFS. (And IMHO, it's a valid concern)