Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15-Month Old Out to Set the AT Record

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Sobos tend to hike later in the year and when you hike barefoot, you tend to hike slower. They were hiking well into January. What you think is impossible two young women did it barefoot.
    It's true there is always a 'bubble' of finishers down here (Georgia) around Thanksgiving and another around Christmas. If you were in that last bubble and were running a bit behind you could easily finish in January. Depending on the year the Smokies might or might not prove to be a problem in December. South of the Smokies you normally wouldn't have much trouble.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

You may have missed my point to Francis...
    4K (2x)
    W4K
    NE67 (65)

Quote Originally Posted by SherpaTom View Post
    I found the article very interesting and if someone did this in 2000-2001, wouldn't that be over the winter and quite impossible Francis?
    I finished February 4, 2001 on Springer after a late start at end of June. Snowshoes needed in the Smokies but not south as Ed suggested. Hardly impossible, although northbound would be a tough one in that time frame!

The barefoot sisters were ahead of me as I recall. Pretty sure I was about last. I'm not sure how they dealt with snow and cold. They may have finished early enough.

I only saw the large family of thru hikers early on in Maine in the first few weeks. Don't recall seeing them after.
    Last edited by Raven; 08-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~