The more arduous the journey, the stronger the prayer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Here's an interesting article about a Penobscot chief doing 300 miles of the AT in lieu of the tribes annual Kathadin 100.

Short excerpt:

The 100-mile journey has been followed by the tribe for centuries, said former Penobscot chief Barry Dana, although the modern inception of the Katahdin 100 dates to 1971. Dana, 58, has completed it each year.

But this year Dana will take a different – and far more challenging – route to the 5,267-foot Mount Katahdin, the central and spiritual place in the Penobscot’s aboriginal territory. He will attempt to hike the 314 miles from Mount Washington to Katahdin in eight days, covering 39 miles a day.

Yikes, 39 miles a day at his age (58) is smoking. But you gotta love his attitude. He says of the 100,

..."For me with the Katahdin 100 if you finish upright, you didn’t push hard enough. That’s how you open up your spirit.”.

Good luck Mr. Dana.

Katahdin Stream Campground at Baxter is set aside for the Penobscot gathering every Labor Day weekend. All sites and parking are taken, but AT Thru-hikers passing thru the campground are often welcomed (and fed) as fellow pilgrims. The gathering isn't an open to the public 'pow-wow' put on as entertainment. It's more like a very large family reunion.

Wow. One 39 mile day in the mountains is impressive. Eight 39 mile days in a row is amazing. My longest day hikes have been between 17 and 19 miles and that's not even halfway there! He is either running or he walks a lot faster than I do!

Katahdin Stream Campground at Baxter is set aside for the Penobscot gathering every Labor Day weekend. All sites and parking are taken, but AT Thru-hikers passing thru the campground are often welcomed (and fed) as fellow pilgrims. The gathering isn't an open to the public 'pow-wow' put on as entertainment. It's more like a very large family reunion.

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing!