Tucks or Lion Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I'm planning on hiking Mt. Washington on Monday if the weather is good. I've done it 3 times before all using either the Jewel or Amonoosic trail to the top. This time I'd like to go up using Tuckermans Ravine Trail. Is the Lion Head Trail a lot more difficult than just staying on
Tuckermans ? Thanks for any advice.

Not at all. Do a loop, go up Tucks then down Lions head. It's a beautiful trail, don't miss it.

Or take Boot Spur down if time and weather allows. Much less traveled. You will probably not see another hiker.

If you like your knees, do the loop using Lion Head for your descent. The other 2 are relentless on the knees. Especially Nelson Crag. But, Boote Spur is the most scenic of the 3. IMO.

If you like your knees, do the loop using Lion Head for your descent. The other 2 are relentless on the knees. Especially Nelson Crag. But, Boote Spur is the most scenic of the 3. IMO.

Thanks Joe, good to know. I'm heading out the door right now.

I think all those trails can be tough on the knees. You get a bit of a break on Lion's Head cruising the flats but the part where it leaves the cone of Washington and Tuck's has some pretty steep areas and the zig-zags at the end before rejoining the Tuckerman Ravine trail I have always found to be annoying and tedious for some reason.

I'd second Joe's recommendation for Boott Spur. I've always enjoyed that route up and down. Nelson Crag would be my second choice, although as previously pointed out that is a longer and very strenuous descent. But it is very scenic.