New Book on Kate M.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
I just ordered the newly released " Where you'll find me" by TY Gagne. Covers in depth, the tragedy of Kate Matrosova.

Ty has written a thought provoking essay on when hiking in groups can be unsafe for Appalachia journal. It comes out in December. It's called "Weakness in Numbers.'

Ty has written a thought provoking essay on when hiking in groups can be unsafe for Appalachia journal. It comes out in December. It's called "Weakness in Numbers.'

That sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the reference.

There is/was a pretty lively discussion about this book on Facebook. I generally don't find most of these types of books to be worthwhile from a knowledge and learning perspective but based on excerpts, feedback from people who read or went to his lectures this actually does sound like a pretty interesting read. I went ahead and ordered one for my vacation flight nxt week.....then I got the ETA that it would be a month before I received. Oh well.

I was fortunate enough to see one of Ty's presentations on the search for Kate. He did a really thorough job covering the search and his talk was really compelling. I'll buy the book. I imagine Ty has put together a good book. I'm interested to read it.

Too bad this book is not available on Kindle. Nowadays, I prefer to get books in electronic format, so I may need to wait a bit although I'm itching to read it.

I just ordered the newly released " Where you'll find me" by TY Gagne....

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading this book.

The early reviews on Amazon indicate the author has taken a very balanced approach to the subject, neither demonizing her or making her out to be a tragic hero.

There are so many interesting threads to her story, from risk analysis, to solo winter climbing, to reliance on technology, to hubris, it will be interesting to see how he weaves them into a cogent narrative.

cb

I went ahead and ordered one for my vacation flight nxt week.....then I got the ETA that it would be a month before I received. Oh well.

I just talked with my local Barnes and Nobel and they claim this is a "print on demand" paperback that will not be available in any book store. You order it and the publisher prints you a copy. Which seems crazy in the era of e-books.

Thus the long wait for your copy.

Cb

The Mountain Wanderer (Steve Smith's store) in Lincoln, NH received a few copies today along with several cases of the new 30th edition AMC White Mountain guidebook.

The Mountain Wanderer (Steve Smith's store) in Lincoln, NH received a few copies today along with several cases of the new 30th edition AMC White Mountain guidebook.

My pre-ordered 30th edition arrived this week. New formating, old people be warned. :)

I just talked with my local Barnes and Nobel and they claim this is a "print on demand" paperback that will not be available in any book store. You order it and the publisher prints you a copy. Which seems crazy in the era of e-books.

Thus the long wait for your copy.

Cb

That is odd. I got an ETA update that I might get on 9/7 now so I guess a lot of other people have ordered. Still won't be here in time for my vacation but at least I'll have something to read when I get back.

That is odd. I got an ETA update that I might get on 9/7 now so I guess a lot of other people have ordered. Still won't be here in time for my vacation but at least I'll have something to read when I get back.

I just ordered a copy from Mt Wanderer this AM and Steve will put it in the mail today.

He has 8 copies in stock and available.

Cb

Ty walked in with a boxful yesterday, signed. I grabbed one, as did my compatriot. I also picked up the 30th WMG and another book that might be of interest to people in this thread, Death in the White Mountains: Hiker Fatalities and How to Avoid Being One, by Julie Boardman, published by our old friends Bondcliff Books.

Required Reading

I just ordered the newly released " Where you'll find me" by TY Gagne. Covers in depth, the tragedy of Kate Matrosova.

This book is required reading for anyone who peak bags in winter solo or with a group.

It provides the big picture on decision making and risk taking within the context of NE winter hiking.

The fact that Kate was probably hypothetic as she came down off Madison explains much of what follows.

The story also provides insights into the world of NH SAR and the White mountain rescue community.

An enlightening read with a very sad ending.

Cb

The story also provides insights into the world of NH SAR and the White mountain rescue community.

Two really strong points (I read it in two sittings, and would have been one, but I had to go to bed):

1) The analysis and narrative are interwoven, which lets you see where things go wrong from the get-go. (And does a really good job of saying "yes, things did go wrong systematically, this wasn't just simple dumb luck" without being overly armchair-quarterbacky.)

2) Ty analyzes the group decision-making of the rescuers as well, as a fine contrast. Although that was hardly problem-free, either.

It sounds like Farhoodi participated in the work that lead up to the book. Very generous of him.

I need to read that book. Was talking with the AMC caretaker at Speck Pond about her death and why she even thought it was a good idea to hike in that storm that was forecasted the night before. I was living in Lewiston and distinctly remember how ferocious it was at my house. It was much worse in the higher peaks.

For me the story highlights how all of us are vulnerable when hypothermia kicks in and sound decision making goes out the window. Her long slow descent of Madison and 8 minute stop at the base of the steeps on the exposed flank of Adams for example will remain a mystery.

i was relieved to see the location errors broadcast by her spot device were due to her faulty deployment of it. The initial ping was accurate but she apparently folded the antenna and put the device back in her pack which fouled up subsequent GPS acquision.

Finally, I so wish she hired a guide for this trip as she did for so many other mountain adventures. There are so many great ones in the area and they have so much to teach us. Like other guided groups that turned back that day she would not have Achieved her goal, but she might have learned how ferocious and dangerous our little mountains can be when the wx turns.

She is us and we've all lost a sister in the hills. But her lessons live on.
Cb

For me the story highlights how all of us are vulnerable when hypothermia kicks in and sound decision making goes out the window. Her long slow descent of Madison and 8 minute stop at the base of the steeps on the exposed flank of Adams for example will remain a mystery.

i was relieved to see the location errors broadcast by her spot device were due to her faulty deployment of it. The initial ping was accurate but she apparently folded the antenna and put the device back in her pack which fouled up subsequent GPS acquision.

Finally, I so wish she hired a guide for this trip as she did for so many other mountain adventures. There are so many great ones in the area and they have so much to teach us. Like other guided groups that turned back that day she would not have Achieved her goal, but she might have learned how ferocious and dangerous our little mountains can be when the wx turns.

She is us and we've all lost a sister in the hills. But her lessons live on.
Cb

SPOT devices don't have an antenna to fold up...

I guess I'm using "spot" in the generic sense to refer to a locator beacon that alerts outside resources. Not sure what brand she had...

Cb

SPOT devices don't have an antenna to fold up...
According to the write-up in Appalachia (summer/fall 2016), she was carrying an ACR ResQLink+ PLB. The foldable antenna is the 406/121.5 MHz transmitting antenna. The GPS receiving antenna is internal to the case, most likely a small patch antenna.

The instructions say the transmitting antenna should be unfolded and vertical--folding it or misorienting it would most likely reduce the strength of the 406 MHz* signals which could cause errors in the data transmission. The GPS antenna is also sensitive to orientation (it needs to be pointed up toward the sky)--misorientation increases the probability of location errors. (The following instructions are printed on the case over the GPS antenna: "GPS give clear view to sky".)

According to the same article, her PLB was found "on its side". (I presume this means that the transmitting and GPS antennas were horizontal.) Experiments showed less accurate locations when the unit was on its side.

If she also carried the PLB in her pack (antenna folded or not), its performance would likely have been degraded.

* This PLB also transmits a 121.5 MHz low-power homing signal. None of the reports that I have seen indicate whether it was used by the searchers.

There is ample data showing that SPOT devices are also not 100% reliable/accurate.

Doug