Winter Day Pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingRock

Reaction score
Yep, with the cooler temps I'm starting to think about winter hiking. What pack and size to you use? I've been looking at the Osprey Stratus 36...big enough?

I use a SMD Fusion 50, which is about 40 liters. Big enough for a light sleeping bag, shelter, warm clothing, food and insulated water bottles. Its big enougn where I could survive an unplanned, uncomfortable, overnight if I had to.

Jannd Zoor Aloinist. 40+L. Very rugged but minimalist suspension. I love this pack.

Old school.... Dana Bomb Pack. 32L, rugged, comfortable, I've had this pack for about 20 years. Snowshoes fit in the 'shove-it' pocket and I would suggest that you look for a feature like that if you're looking for a winter daypack. This is my go-to winter daypack and it's ok for a minimalist summer overnight.

Old school.... Dana Bomb Pack. 32L, rugged, comfortable, I've had this pack for about 20 years. Snowshoes fit in the 'shove-it' pocket and I would suggest that you look for a feature like that if you're looking for a winter daypack. This is my go-to winter daypack and it's ok for a minimalist summer overnight.

Wow...that's actually the pack I have now! I'm looking so shave some weight since the pack weighs at a hefty 7 pounds empty but I do love the shove-it pocket for the snowshoes! Maybe I should just stick to what I have.

I use the Stratos 34 (panel loading). it's also my summer day pack. I can easily mount my Tubbs All Flex VRTs on the sides (one tail in each pocket) along with my sled on top.

Yeah, I'm looking at the Stratos 36. It looks like snowshoes would fit on them nicely with bungie cords.

Wow...that's actually the pack I have now! I'm looking so shave some weight since the pack weighs at a hefty 7 pounds empty but I do love the shove-it pocket for the snowshoes! Maybe I should just stick to what I have.

Argh! Now you've got me thinking I need a new winter pack!

I still use my Gregory Reality, even though its well over 25 years old. I also use Dueter now and cant say enough about them. One thing to consider. While Osprey are the rage and are also very light, I'm not impressed with their construction at all. I've heard many say, they have sent theirs back for repairs. Granted, I hear they are great at customer service, but I want my gear to be bombproof. My Gregory still looks good and it has carried some weight. My Dueter, very well constructed and the most comfortable pack out there. My Osprey is getting bored in closet, only goes out on short hikes.:eek:

Last edited:
When I bought my winter pack, I gathered up all the gear I thought I might want to put into/onto it; first aid kit, extra water, down jacket, extra layers, snowshoes, crampons, etc. and took it all to the store. There I proceeded to make sure it all fit in/on the pack I was interested in.

I have been using an external telescoping frame pack with removable cylinders for years. Forget who makes it. Very lightweight. Never let me down. No weight on shoulders. Easy to get to anything I need. For short trips I remove excess capacity.

Can't find a good photo of it. This is on top of Mt Martha - heading to (the other) Owl's Head.

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 109
I use either a 26L or 40L pack, depending on how much stuff I decide to carry for the specific hike. I also prefer to order online and take the pack on a local hike before deciding whether I like it or not. So far, I've bought 4 packs online and have not returned any of them.