New AT Record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd throw this out there since I had not seen any mention of it here:

AT Crushed: ‘Stringbean’ Sets Fastest Speed Record

Fift'y miles a day and although unsupported, it bested Karl Meltzer's supported record set last year.

I saw this and am really curious how he pulled it off "unsupported." And who is this kid? Certainly not a well-known Ultra guy.

So... you get up and run 50 miles of the AT from morn till night, and then????

The article I read said he used GPS and route tracking to prove his claim. Which is interesting.

I'm still wondering how the food and shelter thing works for 40+ days and nights!

Impressive achievement.

cb

His shelter was an MLD Superlight bivy and poncho, a Klymit ultralight pad, and 40* EE Enigma. 6.8lb base. I am very curious about food and resupply though.

I would note that the original article changed the word unsupported to self-supported. Most of us don't worry about such distinctions, but it meant that he had no team supporting him, but did mail himself food or bought it at trail towns. That's what most of us do. I guess unsupported would imply he carried all his food with him, an unlikely, if not impossible scenario.

And as a friend of mine (see this) who follows these things closely mentioned: "The former record holders before the past two ultrarunners were also fast packing run hikers so I guess it's shows different approaches can work if you're superhuman! With Meltzer and Jurek in 40s and this guy in 20s guess we're going to get into age group FKTs as next big thing!"

Last edited:
I would note that the original article changed the word unsupported to self-supported. Most of us don't worry about such distinctions, but it meant that he had no team supporting him, but did mail himself food or bought it at trail towns. That's what most of us do. I guess unsupported would imply he carried all his food with him, an unlikely, if not impossible scenario.

And as a friend of mine (see this) who follows these things closely mentioned: "The former record holders before the past two ultrarunners were also fast packing run hikers so I guess it's shows different approaches can work if you're superhuman! With Meltzer and Jurek in 40s and this guy in 20s guess we're going to get into age group FKTs as next big thing!"

I was more curious about the logistics of the resupplies as many resupply points are some distance off trail. Self-supported thrus don't allow for hitching as far as I was aware.

Self-supported thrus don't allow for hitching as far as I was aware.
Anish's rules include "never enter a vehicle" and he was challenging under her rules. Note they do allow for spontaneous trail magic without prearrangement....I know someone who gave Stringbean some food in such a situation.

I met his - for a minute - at Katahdin Stream Campground abt. 4PM. He actually stopped into the Ranger's cabin to register as a nobo thru hiker. Well done, Stringbean!

I really enjoyed that video on his PCT run. That kid can run. I got the sense, that he is very credible.