BSP Labor day 2017

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my semi annual Labor day weekend trip up to BSP. Not a lot of visible changes this year at the park. I did notice the new solar array and backup generator set off to the side of the Togue Pond gatehouse when driving into the park. There was a trial system in place last year but I am not sure if it was the same one in service currently. It is pretty large array but not knowing what their loads are its just a guess. We stayed in Roaring Brook on the east side of the mountain at one of the group sites.

Some of our group went the night before and stayed in the relatively new bunkhouse at Nesowadnehunk campground. They were very impressed with the layout. I expect it gets the most use in winter. This campground located just far enough up the road from the Katahdin trailheads is now "second tier" in the park. It formerly had a park gate but the gate was closed long ago so it tends to be quieter. One bonus is that unlike the rest of the park, there is a large open meadow. Many of the parks campgrounds are in the woods and catching good views or stargazing is limited unless you are near a pond. Even on Labro Day weekend there were open sites when we hiked through on Sunday AM. Possibly it was folks scared away by the forecast.

Several in our group wanted the Knife Edge trail along with the requisite Katahdin and Hamlin summits so we did the grand loop on Saturday which is Helon Taylor Trail up to Pamola, the Knife Edge then over the summit before heading over to Hamlin and then down Hamlin Ridge Trail and back to Roaring Brook. It was quite windy Friday night and a front came through over the night. I watch the barometric trend over the night and it started to flatten out by the early AM. We wanted to get going early to catch the early sun on the east wall of the range but low clouds to the east took away some of the splendor. We headed up Helon Taylor and it was still windy. The sun was out but when exposed I was worried that it might be too windy for the Knife Edge. We added a few layers and headed up to Pamola. On top of Pamola the wind had dropped so we decided to do the Knife Edge. It was nice quiet hike across as we were ahead of the day hikers. When we started the final ascent up to south peak there were pockets of snow in the shady side of the ridge. We ended up at summit at 11 AM. It was already quite crowded with steady line of hikers heading up from Abol and KSC. We looked back along the Knife Edge and it had a steady line of dispersed groups. From there we headed down encountering the "montreal chic" class of hikers" who had hiked up the Saddle. I guess BSP has to put in bilingual "stay on the trail" signs as it looked as though many folks regarded hiking in the nice fluffy alpine grasses and mosses as a good alternative to hiking in the hardened trail bed. We got to the Saddle and were glad we didn't have to head down as its my least favorite route down off the summit. From there we headed over to Hamlin via a trail that seems to be getting less use or at least clipping over the years. At the Northwest Basin trail junction we took a break and noticed that the signage still isn't fully updated to reflect that the Northern Peaks trail was back open. From there is was quick ramble up over Hamlin and then down the Hamlin Bridge trail. I always like descending the Hamlin Ridge trail and this hike was no exception. We then connected up with Chimney Pond trail and head back down to Roaring Brook. It was long day with just about good weather. That loop always takes me a bit longer then expected and I expect at some point I will stop doing it but it was nice to have a good day and introduce a few new folks to this side of Baxter.

Sundays forecast was a bit "iffy", the "listers" in the group who had checked off the boxes on their various lists headed out but some folk remained. Two of us headed over to Nesowadnehunk to do an out and back of Doubletop. I like this approach far better than from the south. The south approach is very pleasant hike along old logging roads but eventually ends up on a badly eroded steep serious rocky rooty chutes before summiting. I have heard a complete reconstruction is in the cards someday but expect the prior Abol rebuild and the upcoming Dudley Rebuild is going to delay serious trail work on this route as well as North Brother. We got down early to a deserted campsite. It was sunny until 5 PM and the clouds started to drop a bit. Around 6 PM it started sprinkling. It rained much of the night but was bright in the AM. We skipped a campsite breakfast and headed into the AT café in Millinocket and got a seat which is rare on most weekends.

We didn't spend a lot of time in the East Millinocket or Millinocket area but signs of rebirth are not obvious. I have been up there on business and for my BSP trips for 30 years and due to the business trips I did get to know the area somewhat. I expect to a local looking for signs there may be some but even businesses that had survived until my last trip were closed with only the new Tractor Supply being a major addition.

While driving up on Friday we made a last minute decision to take a ride through the National Monument. I was aware that the governor has banned the state from putting up road signs but had also read that there were brochures with instructions to the park available at local businesses. We pulled into the Irving station at the Sherman exit which would be the logical place to get one and I went inside and asked. They didn't have any and didn't know anything about it. I was riding in my friends truck and he didn't have a Maine Delorme guide so we elected to head back to Millinocket via RT 11. What was quite obvious is the former National Park debate is not dead along RT 11, there were a fresh batch of yellow anti park signs on many of the front yards. They were trimmed around and looked new compared to leftovers from last year. They looked to be at occupied homes so I don't think it was just someone driving by and planting them. As we got closer to Millinocket we did see some signs of rehab and new construction of seasonal places between RT 11 and the river. The RT 11 approach to KWW from Medway was the "red herring" held out to the Medway, East Millinocket and Millinocket region that it would be the economic gateway to KWW to gain support but the reality is it far quicker and easier to just go two exits north to Sherman and head north.

Overall a somewhat routine visit to the park introducing some newbys to the park. I work hard to get them to realize that the park is so much more than the 6 summits needed to check off their lists but expect for many its there one and only trip up there and given the weather they at least got a good impression.

BTW, folks were texting on their cell phones at Bear Brook campground. They couldn't get voice. I speculate the KWW is probably encouraging additional coverage in the area.

Last edited:
I did know about the KWW national monument website, just disappointed that a key local business isn't in the loop. The other confusing part is RT 11 is marked with scenic highway signs that are labeled as Katahdin Woods and Waters scenic highway but its just a designation that has a Scenic byway specific website, even the map on the scenic byway website doesn't show the monument and if you look carefully it punts it to the national monument website. I realize everything is a work in progress hindered by a hostile Maine governor but disappointed that despite all the PR that its ready for visitors, it doesn't appear to be for the prime time national visitor that it needs to make an impact to the economy of the region.

I'd wager that gas station (good pizza) is in the loop - they just oppose the NM. The road to the Katahdin Loop is just across the street from them. You'll find the same attitude in some businesses in Patton. Map.

Last edited: