Cornell to Friday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Am planning on hiking Wittenberg and then on to Cornell via trail and then bushwhacking over to Friday/Balsam Cap.
Was wondering if anyone has done this before and can inform what the bushwhacking is like once I drop off the west side of Cornell a bit and then head south around the "Dink"(?) towards Friday/Balsam Cap. Heard it was pretty thick with Balsams in there.
Any info appreciated.
Thx.
Chris

Yes, it gets pretty thick in there but not consistently so. Some thicker areas you can circumvent others you just have to power through. I've found it better dropping off Cornell a bit rather heading off from the summit area. I would start from below an awkard ledge on the marked trail to avoid some of Cornell's ledges and than take a more or less due South bearing. The can on Friday is on the Eastern side at the drop off to Moonhaw, the daylight through the trees on your left will be a guide to where the drop off is on your way there. Needless to say long sleeves, pants and eye protection will help you avoid the mauled-by-a-wild-animal look... Good luck!

Thanks a lot OnAClearDay...looking forward to the battle scars LOL.
When was the last time you were in there btw?
Thx
Chris

When was the last time you were in there btw?

The last time about 3 weeks ago...

I should add that I've only gone South to North with my target just getting to the Burroughs trail. North to South with the target the Friday can will require even more diligent compass & map checking and some poking around on Friday. In this area there's still very little in the way of herd path formation.

Am planning on hiking Wittenberg and then on to Cornell via trail and then bushwhacking over to Friday/Balsam Cap.
Was wondering if anyone has done this before and can inform what the bushwhacking is like once I drop off the west side of Cornell a bit and then head south around the "Dink"(?) towards Friday/Balsam Cap. Heard it was pretty thick with Balsams in there.
Any info appreciated.
Thx.
Chris

Friday is an awesome mountain, but pretty thick too. It is tough to find the highest point. If I remember correctly Balsam Cap gets easier than Friday. I love the Bushwhack range: Friday>Balsam Cap>Rocky>Lone; that's one of my favorite areas of the Catskills. Some intense hiking in there.

My wife and I did Friday and Balsam Cap from Moonhaw Road at the end of July. Good herd path the whole way. If you get to the Friday canister from Cornell I would recommend continuing down the herd path to an obvious cairn and going over to Balsam Cap that way. You lose some elevation but the herd path was a big help. Forest never got that thick and blowdown was minimal.

Don't know your way from there but you could continue on to Rocky, it's easy down to the Neversink from there.

Thanks guys...real helpful info!
Am hoping to start the hike no later than 7am from Woodland Valley.
Do Wittenburg, Cornell, the bushwhacking and then back the same way to Woodland Valley. Expecting it will take the better part of the day to finish.
From what I've read, it sounds like the canisters are not on the true summits, rather they are closer to the ledges facing Moonhaw on the east a bit.
Thanks again! Will try to post a follow-up next week.
Chris

Last edited: