Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The week after Labor Day week

The week after Labor Day week

Over the years folks asked me the ideal time to go hiking/make reservations in the whites or BSP and general my reply is the week after labor day week. The rational is generally that the weather patterns tend to stabilize into a long stints of high pressure that hang around until later in the month. Barring the remnants of hurricanes which end up in the region, weather wise it can be great weather although cold nights shorter days offset things. Many folks try to get that 3 day weekend into their scheduled vacation which added to the end of school vacations for many means the first full week after labor day tends to empty out the woods although it can be offset by various college orientation trips. It also is just a bit to early for leaf season that tends to fill the area up on weekends near the end of September and into October which is typically a riskier weather bet as the weather systems tend to start shifting.

The bummer with myself is many clients are in autopilot for the summer delaying decisions until after Labor day. That inevitably means lots of requests for work that needs to be done now to make up for months of lack of decisions. I usually end up taking the week running into Labor Day or Labor Day week to deal with this, knowing that my ideal vacation week inevitably is going to be the start of a busy season. I expect even retirees take advantage of this week as I definitely tend to see an older crowd in town.

So what are other folks opinions on best timing for vacations in the north country?

My wife and I try for the week before Labor Day weekend. Everything's still open, but we've been able to book tentsites and motel rooms right up until Friday, then stay with relatives in upstate NY over the weekend. Not crowded either, as everyone generally shows up Friday.

I like the week after Labor Day for vacations just about anywhere for many of the reasons you mentioned: first week of school for many, a lot of people take the long weekend, etc, etc. My wife and I try to do our annual trip to Vegas for this week for same reasons as well as the fact that airfares and hotels seem to be far less this week. Have also used this week in NH.

Mid-August to Mid-September in the Northeast is the ideal time of year for me. Still plenty of daylight, still warm during day so you can do most anything but at night it cools off, populations of biting bugs have been reduced dramatically and most families are focused on school.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

An additional advantage is the absence of traffic jams on I-95 north going into N.H. and Maine, or on I-93 within N.H.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Best hiking time of the year is now until the end of November. Fall colors ,most of the tourists have gone, its cooler, but still beautiful weather.

Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    An additional advantage is the absence of traffic jams on I-95 north going into N.H. and Maine, or on I-93 within N.H.
    I don't know about that. Once foliage season starts to gain steam the traffic gets absolutely crazy, especially in Lincoln, Conway and Lafayette Place on 93. And it seems like no matter what time of year it is Rte 93 S on a Sunday afternoon is backed up from the tolls back through Concord. Can't remember the last time I drove through there and it wasn't backed up. But of course you really can't drive on any major road anymore at rush hours or Fri night/Sun night without traffic jams.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    For those of us confined to being weekend warriors I've long treasured the weekends before and after the major holidays as times to come up to the mountains. Its sort of like the low ebb tide before the storm surge to borrow metaphor currently in use by weather forecasters for Hurricane Irma. May God be with the folks suffering devastation in Florida and Texas.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #44 of WNH48

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

The difference between working and retirement is that when you work you schedule your recreation around work and long weekends extend your recreation; when you're retired you schedule work around your recreation so holidays are just another day on the calendar with more people sharing your recreation ... well, at least they have something in common so maybe that's a start to somethig more agreeable.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I don't know about that. Once foliage season starts to gain steam the traffic gets absolutely crazy, especially in Lincoln, Conway and Lafayette Place on 93. And it seems like no matter what time of year it is Rte 93 S on a Sunday afternoon is backed up from the tolls back through Concord. Can't remember the last time I drove through there and it wasn't backed up. But of course you really can't drive on any major road anymore at rush hours or Fri night/Sun night without traffic jams.
    It's a matter of timing. If I can I try not to come through before 7 on Sundays. Shoulder seasons are definitely better though when. Fall hiking is the best!
    | 61.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

The other alternative to the traffic issue is decide you want to live and work where others go on vacation. My office is roughly 4 miles as the crow flies to the summit of Madison . Sure I have to drive to Mass to support projects on occasion but I am on the clock for those trips. I guess some folks couldn't survive the rigors of the north country as the nearest Starbucks is 30 miles away, I guess some folks manage to make do with White Mountain Cafe.

Yes, you definitely do NOT want to move north of the notches! Life is very rigorous up here.

Yup Starbucks is way down south in North Conway as is a decent grocery store

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The other alternative to the traffic issue is decide you want to live and work where others go on vacation. My office is roughly 4 miles as the crow flies to the summit of Madison . Sure I have to drive to Mass to support projects on occasion but I am on the clock for those trips. I guess some folks couldn't survive the rigors of the north country as the nearest Starbucks is 30 miles away, I guess some folks manage to make do with White Mountain Cafe.
    Agreed. Need an intern?

I do a lot of driving (roughly 45,000 miles per year between work and hiking) and the window of opportunity to avoid traffic has gotten smaller and smaller and on fewer and fewer roads. It is almost impossible to make a drive of any length on a weekday and not encounter some sort of traffic issue no mater what time it is. There are a lot more drivers on the road, driving a lot faster and paying less and less attention so accidents are pretty commonplace. And of course there is construction....everywhere.

If I could figure out something for employment to do in Gorham (or anywhere in that area for that matter) that made me enough money to have free time to still be able to enjoy time off I'd do it in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    It's a matter of timing. If I can I try not to come through before 7 on Sundays. Shoulder seasons are definitely better though when. Fall hiking is the best!
    After Columbus Day it does improve quite a bit. Before that though - yikes! Foliage season is insane for traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The other alternative to the traffic issue is decide you want to live and work where others go on vacation.
    Or, live and don't work where there is hiking, biking, skiing and boating and very few go there on vacation.

P.S. September has been my favorite month for many years.
    Last edited by jfb; 09-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.