Does Platypus Bite Valve Suck?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
QUESTION:

Does anyone find the bite valve on Platypus hydration bladders difficult to use?

I just switched from a Camelback and hiking yesterday I really had to work to draw a good stream of water through the Platy bite valve as compared to the ease of use of my trusty Camelback.

Is it a bad bite valve or merely less user-friendly design?

cb

The valve pops off for cleaning. If you push it back down too far, the tube can block flow (not enough air for it to flow).
I have the opposite problem - Platypus or Camelback, those valves always leak. ALWAYS.

Just say no to hydration bladders. Too many things can go wrong. Especially in the Winter. The ADK Winter Mountaineering school forbids them.

I agree with not using them in winter - all the complex "systems" that are sold to keep them from freezing don't really work very well. I also don't use them rock climbing. If I'm standing around in one location with my pack off, no reason not to just drink from a bottle. But I do like being able to sip water continuously without stopping on a long summer hike.

I've had both major companies valves. I prefer the Platy overall design. Platy does have some drawbacks, of course. The comment above about pushing the hose in too far is accurate; the hose can mechanically interfere with the valve. Also, the orientation in which to bite the Platy valve is a little counter-intuitive. To get flow, you actually bite the vale the "flat" way (basically flattening it further). That can take some getting used to.

Just say no to hydration bladders. Too many things can go wrong. Especially in the Winter.

Tom, I agree with the problem of using bladders in freezing condx in winter. But, the rest of the year I stay MUCH better hydrated being able to continually sip as I hike. For me, drinking before I get thirsty is the key. With water bottles, even attached to my waist belt, I was always reluctant to stop, open it up, drink, close it, reattach it and move on. If it was in my pack, forget about it! As a result I as chronically dehydrated.

Folks, thanks for the bite valve tips. I'll check the position of mine on the hose.

cb

I ban them on winter trips I lead but use them myself in the non freezing conditions. The depressing part is most folks have a freeze up incident so they go out and buy the winter kit thinking it will solve their freezing problems, it can delay it to a lower temp. With lot of diligence by blowing black some folks can manage it to a lower temp but to me its just spending good money after bad.

With respect to bite valves, I managed to rip off my valve on my original MSR dromedary one day while hiking. I ended buying a new MSR dromedary (even though the 15 year old bag was holding up fine) and the bite valve is not as good as the older design as its lower flow. I do like that MSR includes a toggle valve upstream of the bite valve and I tend to use it that as it cures any dripping. MSR does sell the replacement bite valve but I dont think it includes the toggle valve https://www.msrgear.com/water/msr-bite-valve. As it have stated before IMHO the MSR dromedary system seems to be the most robust of all the hydration systems I have seen.

Just say no to hydration bladders. Too many things can go wrong.
I am also from the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) school...

I carry a 24oz soda bottle* in my pocket plus additional bottles in my pack--when the current bottle becomes empty, I just swap it for a full one. They are very easy to drink from without breaking stride. (Soda bottles are much more robust than bottled water bottles--mine last me for years.) Other advantages are that leakage will only take out one bottle (hasn't happened to me so far...) and that one need only add electrolyte to a portion of one's water.

* 24 oz bottles are the biggest that fit in my pocket conveniently.

Doug

@ChrisB

I agree with @iagreewithjamie. :)
If the tube is inserted too far into the bite-valve it can reduce the flow.

l prefer the convenience of sipping water while in motion. I've used a Platypus hydration system for several consecutive winters and find the convenience outweighs the (manageable) drawbacks. The key is to purge the hose after use and keep the bite-valve warm. I normally stuff the bite-valve into a chest pocket or down the front of my jacket. If the valve freezes, shove the hose and valve down your shirt. It'll thaw in a few minutes.

This summer, after 6+ years of year-round use, my Platypus bag developed a tiny leak. I switched to a 32 oz Gatorade bottle and a 1 liter Smartwater bottle (its threads work with a Sawyer Mini). S'alright but I miss the convenience of sipping on the go. When I do stop to drink, I find I drink more (pretty easy to knock back a half-liter from a bottle compared to a tube). Anyhow, I'll be switching back to a hydration system after I replace the Platypus bag. To each his own; whatever works for you.

For whatever it is worth, there are hybrid solutions where you can use a hydration tube attached to a bottle via a cap adapter.

Thanks for posting. An interesting product. Only drawback for me would be the limited capacity of most bottles vs. a bladder.

I run a 3L bladder most of the time, so I fill it and forget it on a typical hike.

I back that up by also carrying a light-weight LifeStraw, just in case I need more than 3L.

This worked out great on a recent hike up Mount Blackmore in MT where I was forcing water to help with altitude acclimatization. Ran the bladder dry on the way down and just poked the LifeStraw into frequent streams, pools, etc. all the way home.

cb

As a data point for future readers...

I just got an Osprey Hydraulics 3L (my Camelbak developed several pinhole leaks in the bag) and I am not thrilled with the accompanying bite valve. The flow is much slower than the Camelbak, requiring a stronger sucking action to get water.

I do like the fact that it (the version I have) comes with a rigid back (easier to stuff into a full pack) and the fill/empty/cleaning mechanism is easier than the screw-on/off Camebak, and so far seems less likely to leak due to improper tightening/closure.

(I don't use the bladder in below-freezing conditions myself and will switch to a bottle-based solution in winter.)

Tim

As a data point for future readers...

Thanks to all who suggested that I had the Platty bite valve inserted too far into the hose.

Did Chocorua yesterday using the Platty with bite valve pulled out a bit and it generally worked fine.

It's still not as free-flowing as my Camel back, but the water sure tastes better!

cb