FYI - Large ATV event in North Country this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a national ATV event based at Jericho Lake State Park in Berlin this upcoming Friday and Saturday (22nd and 23rd). Last year they overhyped the potential crowds but expect it will still be quite busy in the area. Using last year as guideline, all the accommodations in the region will be booked up starting Thursday evening. Route 2 going through Gorham will be crowded with ATV traffic in the morning and evening and RT 110 in Milan will be quite busy all day. Unless you are an ATV enthusiast, its best to avoid the area as they expect a couple of thousand. Pinkham B road is a good way to bypass Gorham if you are heading to or from Pinkham notch from RT2 west.

Most of the activities are at the State Park with some activities on Main Street in Berlin. I expect few VFTT folks are interested but they do have a pretty extensive schedule of professionally managed events that occur at the park. I expect kids would get a kick out of it as it involves mud and stunts. The events occur in designed event sites and its a remarkably family event with lots of law enforcement keeping things in control. No need for an ATV, they have fairly efficient shuttle bus system from various parking lots in town. There is an admission fee for the event. Camo may be optional but is pretty much the standard uniform of the participants.

I ride and love snowmobiling but can't see ATV riding. Too dusty and bumpy..not as nice as riding a snowmachine during the week on groomed trails..so I've passed buying one..but hey... glad to see ATV money and fun in the North Country. Hope they have a ball.

What a great boost this activity has been for the area! Awesome!

It been a net benefit to the local tourist economy but there are some issues. Fish and Game is usually doing at least one rescue a day most weekends, some serious some not so. There are some homeowners along ATV routes and parking lots that have to put up with a lot of issues like litter, noise drinking and the use of their backyards as toilets. Promises get made to mitigate these issues but there is no real big checkbook to get the work done. The state is raking in room and meals taxes plus ATV registrations but the most of the money goes to Concord and gets mostly swallowed by the state budget although the clubs do get some funding for trail work. Some local non profits with volunteers have figured out a way to do accessory events and several local vendors run portable concessions to take care of the crowds.

Its mostly a working class crowd, if you ever want to find a Massachusetts contractor on weekends just drive through the local parking lots ;). Lots of families come up plus a couple of local rental places have struck it rich with folks from all over (unfortunately their clients tend to figure in some of the rescues). Local hospitality businesses are pretty busy but to date nothing new has moved in to speak of except for a couple of ATV dealerships. There is a lot of synergy between the snowmachine and ATV businesses and that allows local businesses to operate on more of a year round basis but there still is mud season in the spring. The owners may make a good living but the employees are typically low wage no benefits and a bad winter season can pretty well wipe them out. There are some people who have moved into the area and a couple of businesses have moved up plus there are folks who have bought home strictly to use as weekend homes.

Any which way sure beats the dinge and stink of the paper mill years. IMO the services have improved for all in the area including Hikers as a result of the ATV park. In general the locals whom I have spoken to find the change to be a positive situation. Should be even better when the folks driving through town on their way to the Balsams start injecting more money into the local economy also.

It's taken some political heat off the number of hiker rescues out there.

I think it's been great that the ATVs are on the Gorham Roads. I don't ride, but that's pretty cool to have that option.

Well, you have to take the bad with the good, which is true in just about every activity. I'm happy to see folks in the off-road community enjoying themselves and the resulting benefits to the local economy. I'm a big fan of resource sharing and am a live and let live guy. Obviously need to do the best we can to manage the activities and it seems like a decent balance has been struck.

I'm staying in Jackson on Saturday and was thinking of hiking Cabot early on Sunday. I'm assuming if I drive through Gorham at 6 AM I'll be okay but I guess heading home later in the day might be a zoo?