Lightweight stiff shanked boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my boots with a shoe or boot with the following properties:
- Stiff nylon shank, particularly in the forefoot.
- Low or 3/4 height
- Less the 3.25 lbs per pair
- Non-waterproof, preferably leather.

Many years ago EMS sold a rebranded (Zambelain, maybe) boot they called the Zealand. It ticks all of these boxes and I just love them but I'm literally wearing the soles off of them.

I hike almost exclusively in the Whites of NH on super rocky trails. I wear size 14 boots and have found that boots that are stiff in the size 9 range are flappy in size 14. Boots without stiff forefoot sections wreck my feet, which already have neuromas from cycling.

I hate boots with waterproof liners as I find them unbearably sweaty for hard hiking.

Suggestions?

Depending on your definition of "low", the Vasque Grand Traverse might fit your bill. The sole is quite stiff and boot-like (I wear 12). They come in a 14; while not as breathable as trail runners, they're a lot more breathable than a full leather boot. They're moderate-to-low volume if you use thick insoles.

If they are still good you could just resole them. Many dump good boots because the sole is worn. Limmer does mine. He's in Jackson, best around. Actually, you might look at his boots as well. You can order custom fit or stock.