Leaving a mess in Shelburne NH - SCI Mountain Challenge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I was invited by a redliner to join her on a redlining mission to knock off trails in Shelburne NH today. Apparently there was some sort of fundraising adventure race based out of Sunday River by a group called SCI. They apparently paid a professional trail organization to lay out a race course through the Shelburne Trails Network yesterday. They also apparently forget to remove all the temporary trail markers they left littering the trails. It mostly consists of customized orange flagging tied on trees about every few hundred feet along the trail and at every turn. We didn't see a lot of trash on the trails which was a plus but considering the event is on private lands, its pretty poor organization not to send a crew out to clean up what I expect will be garbage bags full of orange flagging after the event is complete.

I expect they figure by using a small local trail network they can get away with whatever they want. Given the number of teams and the suggested minimum donation of $3000 a team I hope they at least give the Shelburne Trails Association a donation.

We didn't find out the event had been run yesterday or otherwise we would have started cleaning up the mess. I did meet a former local who made dent cleaning up at least one trail.

The Shelburne Trails Club received no prior notification about this event, nor any request to use the club maintained trails that are made available to the public only through the generous permission of the private landowners through which these trails pass.

I also don't expect to see any donation from the sponsor. I have asked that they return to clean up their flags.

STC Secretary

Thanks for confirming. We only redlined east of the Austin Brook Road. A former local cleaned the Scudder trail. I would suggest the club contact SCI, as I believe they used a contractor to run the event.