What Winter Fleece Jackets Should I Consider?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Every decade or so, I need a new fleece shell. It's about that time. I'd appreciate any suggestions from those of you who keep up with gear. I honestly don't pay much attention to gear other than what's on my feet and much of what I use stays with me a long time. Gear styles change far faster than I do. So I'm clueless. Here are important details:

Winter fleece shell.
Windblock considered if worthwhile and am leaning toward it.
Chest pocket ideal.
Pit zips ideal.
Otherwise open to suggestion.
My current one is a Columbia and I've been happy with it.
I run a bit on the cold side compared to most.
Nothing too bulky.

Much appreciated!

For a winter layering system I would consider two possible routes:

1) Mid weight (but slightly wind resistant) fleece (e.g. OR centrifuge, Patagonia Piton, Patagonia R1) plus a ultra-light-weight wind-shirt (Patagonia Houdini, Rab Cirrus, TNF Verto) - Gives you the best of both worlds - mid layer warmth and breathability with a fully wind proof layering piece
2) A true softshell - This can mean anything from an un-insulated really breathable semi-waterproof shell (nylon, with a brushed lining), to a heavy fleece with a heavy nylon/poly outer layer (Rab Baltoro), to a fleece with a brushed outer layer. I've been very happy with the Mammut ultimate hoody (since discontinued), but I do recommend the following: Go with windstopper (Gore) or Powershield (Polartec) and opt for lighter insulation in the softshell itself. You can't remove insulation from your jacket, but you can easily layer under a lighter softshell.

I use wool layers underneath a wind resistant shell when active, or a rain shell if it's raining. For standing around in the cold, I wear a Primaloft or down hooded jacket.

Windblock considered if worthwhile and am leaning toward it.
I have both windblock and non-windblock fleece jackets. I often find the windblock jacket to be too steamy and do not carry it alone. (I generate a lot of heat and sweat when active.)

However, I have also been out in cold with a light breeze conditions where the windblock jacket is just right. (It does not block wind as well as my waterproof-breathable hardshell.)

Pit zips ideal.
I haven't found any need for pit zips in my fleece.

FWIW, I usually carry both a non-windblock jacket, a windblock jacket, and a hard shell and choose whichever one or combination suits the current conditions. If I wear more than one, I layer the non-windblock on the inside, then the windblock, and finally the hard shell.

FWIW2, I usually wear windblock fleece gloves.

Doug

I got away from heavy fleece, never seem to be right for most conditions. I carry an R1 Patagonia pullover, just right. I also carry a Patagonia Puff jacket, this is ideal as it is warm, yet I never get to hot in it. If it get real cold, my Puff over my r1 is really warm, colder? add my Goretex shell over both or one of those layers. This trio provides me the perfect layering system for a multitude of conditions. I do own a Retro-X Patagonia Fleece coat that does have a wind block layer, but it has fallen out of my pack and is mostly for around town now.

Every decade or so, I need a new fleece shell. It's about that time.

I think it's always worth checking out what's on sale at Ragged Mountain in N Conway, especially their discontinued styles.

Real bargains can be found on well-made gear.

cb

Thanks for the suggestions. I should probably preface with more details. I'm pretty well set on the features I like. I like pit zips because I find I use them often hiking in winter in my fleece. I tend not to overheat too often and usually regulate well, but I do actually use these. I never thought I would.

I carry a down jacket and winter parka in my winter pack for standing around or in the case of the parka, tougher, wetter conditions. As I consider it, the wind block in the fleece may be too much for my needs - I've always layered and never had a fleece with it before. The midweight Columbia I have is about right, so I may stay close to that. I hike in this layer in winter.

For a winter layering system I would consider two possible routes:

1) Mid weight (but slightly wind resistant) fleece (e.g. OR centrifuge, Patagonia Piton, Patagonia R1) plus a ultra-light-weight wind-shirt (Patagonia Houdini, Rab Cirrus, TNF Verto) - Gives you the best of both worlds - mid layer warmth and breathability with a fully wind proof layering piece

I like this idea and have a Houdini already for running in light rain and combined with a midweight fleece, this would probably be perfect. Good thought. Big, slow, and wicked smaht. This fits pretty well in line with what I'm trying to do.

Maybe I should just get another fleece similar to the one I have and add the Houdini as needed.

Appreciate it!

I like this idea and have a Houdini already for running in light rain and combined with a midweight fleece, this would probably be perfect.

It would probably be wise to bring along a lightweight and midweight fleece and wear either or both with the Houdini.

I have had several wind block fleeces and one observation is even though they are breathable, pit zips are a feature that sadly gets removed with many fleeces made with wind block fabrics. In the past I have hand sewn pit zips into an anorak and might be doing it again with my current wind block fleece. I find that pit zips expand the range of a fleece. I too keep gear way to long to worry about style. My current shell is North Face Goretex shell with big pit zips and pockets I can access with a hip belt on. Its 25 year old when North Face was more of gear heads brand rather than a fashion statement. The other thing I look for is an attached hood with extensive adjustments so that I can cinch in down to the point that it doesn't move around in high winds.

I must admit that Goretex Proshell Gear is a definite improvement over regular Goretex but cant justify the retail price. I have a pair of Proshell pants I got on a end of year discount and its been hard to find any faults with them.

Molting Canaries

I too keep gear way to long to worry about style. My current shell is North Face Goretex shell with big pit zips and pockets I can access with a hip belt on. Its 25 year old ...

Peakbagger -- How do you keep such really old gear performing as rain wear? My old Gortex stuff leaks like a sieve.

My Marmot and EMS rain shells have both shed their inner coatings like molting canaries.

What's your secret?

cb

Peakbagger -- How do you keep such really old gear performing as rain wear? My old Gortex stuff leaks like a sieve.

My Marmot and EMS rain shells have both shed their inner coatings like molting canaries.

What's your secret?

cb

I also have a Goretex NF jacket, that's 20 plus years old, still bomber. Do you wash your jackets? mine rarely see a washer. Very tough on them. Don't even think of the dryer.

Mine hasn't been washed since I got it. Someone had bought it at Sunday River, used it for half a day and managed to get it caught on something sharp and returned with a big rip out back. A friend who worked there grabbed it for me. I put some genuine Goretex repair tape on it and it has held since then so I don't wash it.

I have heard that putting it in dryer on occasion will reset the DWR coating but expect its long gone.

Mine hasn't been washed since I got it. Someone had bought it at Sunday River, used it for half a day and managed to get it caught on something sharp and returned with a big rip out back. A friend who worked there grabbed it for me. I put some genuine Goretex repair tape on it and it has held since then so I don't wash it.

I have heard that putting it in dryer on occasion will reset the DWR coating but expect its long gone.

That is funny. I got mine off the damaged rack at EMS for about 25 bucks. It had a good tear right in the front. I to used Gore-Tex repair tape and it's been a great jacket. Mine is the heavy 3 layer.

Sounds like we have twins, Mine is also the heavier 3 layer. The lightweight single layer GoreTex of that era turned brown and wore/flaked off.

For winter backpacking, cycling and backcountry skiing, I prefer medium fleece under a super light nylon or polyester shell or wind shirt.

For this reason, I like my pit zips on my shell and I prefer fleece that lets the maximum amount of air through. It sounds counter intuitive but this allows me to regulate my temperature better. When I open my pit zips, I want to dump heat all the way to my core.

I do use a think pile under rain gear for wet shoulder seasons. I have a few Ragged Mtn Rock Piles that I’m nursing along.

I’ve pretty much given up on wind resistant fleece and soft shell tops for backcountry use. Too boardy. Too hard to manage temp. Not versatile for me

What's your secret?

cb

Just to be clear, Gore-tex does not leak unless there are holes in the membrane, including torn seam taping. If the membrane is intact, then internal moisture is due to condensation. If the exterior of the jacket absorbs water instead of the water beading up an running off, the ability for water vapor to pass through the membrane is compromised. Wash the jacket according to its care instructions and iron it. If that doesn't restore the durable water-resistant (DWR) coating, pickup DWR such as the those offered by Nikwax and apply.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/washing-goretex-outerwear.html

If the membrane is degrading, which it sounds like it is in your case, then either return it for a warranty replacement or buy a new jacket. I would guess that physical wear and perhaps exposure to sunscreen, bug spray, sun, and maybe your skins oils might cause a premature breakdown of the membrane.

More technical information on how Gore-tex and its competitors work:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

Last edited:

I had Marmot Precip anorak that I threw out because the coating abraded away in the area around my neck. Also had a REI anorak with Gore-Tex laminate that delaminated after several years. I was able to peel away the laminate and convert it to a windshell.

I had Marmot Precip anorak that I threw out because the coating abraded away in the area around my neck. Also had a REI anorak with Gore-Tex laminate that delaminated after several years. I was able to peel away the laminate and convert it to a windshell.

FYI, I've returned two Marmot Precips when the coating shredded around the neck area. Marmot replaced both with new Precips.