Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Winter Fleece Jackets Should I Consider?

Sounds like we have twins, Mine is also the heavier 3 layer. The lightweight single layer GoreTex of that era turned brown and wore/flaked off.

For winter backpacking, cycling and backcountry skiing, I prefer medium fleece under a super light nylon or polyester shell or wind shirt.

For this reason, I like my pit zips on my shell and I prefer fleece that lets the maximum amount of air through. It sounds counter intuitive but this allows me to regulate my temperature better. When I open my pit zips, I want to dump heat all the way to my core.

I do use a think pile under rain gear for wet shoulder seasons. I have a few Ragged Mtn Rock Piles that Iím nursing along.

Iíve pretty much given up on wind resistant fleece and soft shell tops for backcountry use. Too boardy. Too hard to manage temp. Not versatile for me

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Peakbagger -- How do you keep such really old gear performing as rain wear? My old Gortex stuff leaks like a sieve.

My Marmot and EMS rain shells have both shed their inner coatings like molting canaries.

What's your secret?

cb
    Just to be clear, Gore-tex does not leak unless there are holes in the membrane, including torn seam taping. If the membrane is intact, then internal moisture is due to condensation. If the exterior of the jacket absorbs water instead of the water beading up an running off, the ability for water vapor to pass through the membrane is compromised. Wash the jacket according to its care instructions and iron it. If that doesn't restore the durable water-resistant (DWR) coating, pickup DWR such as the those offered by Nikwax and apply.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...outerwear.html

If the membrane is degrading, which it sounds like it is in your case, then either return it for a warranty replacement or buy a new jacket. I would guess that physical wear and perhaps exposure to sunscreen, bug spray, sun, and maybe your skins oils might cause a premature breakdown of the membrane.

More technical information on how Gore-tex and its competitors work:
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...-it-works.html
    Last edited by TEO; 10-12-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    My Marmot and EMS rain shells have both shed their inner coatings like molting canaries.
    I had Marmot Precip anorak that I threw out because the coating abraded away in the area around my neck. Also had a REI anorak with Gore-Tex laminate that delaminated after several years. I was able to peel away the laminate and convert it to a windshell.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I had Marmot Precip anorak that I threw out because the coating abraded away in the area around my neck. Also had a REI anorak with Gore-Tex laminate that delaminated after several years. I was able to peel away the laminate and convert it to a windshell.
    FYI, I've returned two Marmot Precips when the coating shredded around the neck area. Marmot replaced both with new Precips.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Eagan View Post
    FYI, I've returned two Marmot Precips when the coating shredded around the neck area. Marmot replaced both with new Precips.
    Thanks for the info. The coating on my pair of Precip pants is also wearing, so I can try to return them if it gets bad enough.

Iíve croaked both GoreTex laminates and coating based jackets over the years.

Shoulder strap and hip belt areas are the key areas of wear for me. No way around it, IMO, if you wear em with packs regularly.

Delamination or bubbling always leads to leaking for me.

Note, I donít rely on rain gear to stay dry. Itís about staying warm and big leaks make me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    Just to be clear, Gore-tex does not leak unless there are holes in the membrane, including torn seam taping. If the membrane is intact, then internal moisture is due to condensation. If the exterior of the jacket absorbs water instead of the water beading up an running off, the ability for water vapor to pass through the membrane is compromised. Wash the jacket according to its care instructions and iron it. If that doesn't restore the durable water-resistant (DWR) coating, pickup DWR such as the those offered by Nikwax and apply.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...outerwear.html

If the membrane is degrading, which it sounds like it is in your case, then either return it for a warranty replacement or buy a new jacket. I would guess that physical wear and perhaps exposure to sunscreen, bug spray, sun, and maybe your skins oils might cause a premature breakdown of the membrane.

More technical information on how Gore-tex and its competitors work:
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...-it-works.html

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    I’ve croaked both GoreTex laminates and coating based jackets over the years.

Shoulder strap and hip belt areas are the key areas of wear for me. No way around it, IMO, if you wear em with packs regularly.

Delamination or bubbling always leads to leaking for me.

Note, I don’t rely on rain gear to stay dry. It’s about staying warm and big leaks make me cold.
    I'm just curious, how you stay dry without rain gear?

Note, I don’t rely on rain gear to stay dry. It’s about staying warm and big leaks make me cold.
    When I'm hiking in the rain, rain gear doesn't keep me dry either because I sweat inside the rain gear. But it does keep the cold rain away from my warm, wet layers.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I'm just curious, how you stay dry without rain gear?
    I donít aspire to stay dry when hiking in the rain.

When I think of hiking in the rain, I think of multiday trips in October with constant rain and temps in the 30s.

Rain jackets ďleakĒ through cuffs, collars and zippers and what parts donít leak, become over come with sweat.

In the 80s when I was full time ski teaching, I used to wear Patagonia non-breatheable rain gear in the hopes of leak proof dryness. I remember the April day skiing in all day on and off rain and sweat running out of cuffs while my buds in Gtx were drier (not dry but drier) and more comfortable.

I always pack rain gear and dry overnight clothes. I assume all trail clothing will be soaked by supper time

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    I donít aspire to stay dry when hiking in the rain.

When I think of hiking in the rain, I think of multiday trips in October with constant rain and temps in the 30s.

Rain jackets ďleakĒ through cuffs, collars and zippers and what parts donít leak, become over come with sweat.

In the 80s when I was full time ski teaching, I used to wear Patagonia non-breatheable rain gear in the hopes of leak proof dryness. I remember the April day skiing in all day on and off rain and sweat running out of cuffs while my buds in Gtx were drier (not dry but drier) and more comfortable.

I always pack rain gear and dry overnight clothes. I assume all trail clothing will be soaked by supper time
    Agreed. It's part of why I've switched to using an umbrella. It keeps most of the rain off the core while allowing for airflow.

I also pack a pair of 'PJs' for overnights (just a dry spare set), and just assume I'll be putting wet clothes back on in the morning. I don't winter camp though, so a better system may be needed.
    | 61.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Anyone have experience with these:

-Mountain Hardware Monkey Man
    -Marmot Bryson
    -Mountain Hardware Mountain Tech II

Thanks !
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~