What Winter Fleece Jackets Should I Consider?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I've returned two Marmot Precips when the coating shredded around the neck area. Marmot replaced both with new Precips.

Thanks for the info. The coating on my pair of Precip pants is also wearing, so I can try to return them if it gets bad enough.

I’ve croaked both GoreTex laminates and coating based jackets over the years.

Shoulder strap and hip belt areas are the key areas of wear for me. No way around it, IMO, if you wear em with packs regularly.

Delamination or bubbling always leads to leaking for me.

Note, I don’t rely on rain gear to stay dry. It’s about staying warm and big leaks make me cold.

Just to be clear, Gore-tex does not leak unless there are holes in the membrane, including torn seam taping. If the membrane is intact, then internal moisture is due to condensation. If the exterior of the jacket absorbs water instead of the water beading up an running off, the ability for water vapor to pass through the membrane is compromised. Wash the jacket according to its care instructions and iron it. If that doesn't restore the durable water-resistant (DWR) coating, pickup DWR such as the those offered by Nikwax and apply.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/washing-goretex-outerwear.html

If the membrane is degrading, which it sounds like it is in your case, then either return it for a warranty replacement or buy a new jacket. I would guess that physical wear and perhaps exposure to sunscreen, bug spray, sun, and maybe your skins oils might cause a premature breakdown of the membrane.

More technical information on how Gore-tex and its competitors work:
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

I’ve croaked both GoreTex laminates and coating based jackets over the years.

Shoulder strap and hip belt areas are the key areas of wear for me. No way around it, IMO, if you wear em with packs regularly.

Delamination or bubbling always leads to leaking for me.

Note, I don’t rely on rain gear to stay dry. It’s about staying warm and big leaks make me cold.

I'm just curious, how you stay dry without rain gear?

When I'm hiking in the rain, rain gear doesn't keep me dry either because I sweat inside the rain gear. But it does keep the cold rain away from my warm, wet layers.

I'm just curious, how you stay dry without rain gear?

I don’t aspire to stay dry when hiking in the rain.

When I think of hiking in the rain, I think of multiday trips in October with constant rain and temps in the 30s.

Rain jackets “leak” through cuffs, collars and zippers and what parts don’t leak, become over come with sweat.

In the 80s when I was full time ski teaching, I used to wear Patagonia non-breatheable rain gear in the hopes of leak proof dryness. I remember the April day skiing in all day on and off rain and sweat running out of cuffs while my buds in Gtx were drier (not dry but drier) and more comfortable.

I always pack rain gear and dry overnight clothes. I assume all trail clothing will be soaked by supper time

I don’t aspire to stay dry when hiking in the rain.

When I think of hiking in the rain, I think of multiday trips in October with constant rain and temps in the 30s.

Rain jackets “leak” through cuffs, collars and zippers and what parts don’t leak, become over come with sweat.

In the 80s when I was full time ski teaching, I used to wear Patagonia non-breatheable rain gear in the hopes of leak proof dryness. I remember the April day skiing in all day on and off rain and sweat running out of cuffs while my buds in Gtx were drier (not dry but drier) and more comfortable.

I always pack rain gear and dry overnight clothes. I assume all trail clothing will be soaked by supper time

Agreed. It's part of why I've switched to using an umbrella. It keeps most of the rain off the core while allowing for airflow.

I also pack a pair of 'PJs' for overnights (just a dry spare set), and just assume I'll be putting wet clothes back on in the morning. I don't winter camp though, so a better system may be needed. :)

Anyone have experience with these:

-Mountain Hardware Monkey Man
-Marmot Bryson
-Mountain Hardware Mountain Tech II

Thanks !

Anyone have experience with these:

-Mountain Hardware Monkey Man
-Marmot Bryson
-Mountain Hardware Mountain Tech II

Thanks !

I've taken a shot on the Monkey Man. It's the most like the one I've used for 10 years, a 200 weight fleece full zip. I imagine this will feel similar, likely warmer since new. I opted against the wind block, appreciate everyone's comments on that. It would likely be too hot for hiking. I have a good parka for a shell that I will continue to use, but I am going too experiment with the Houdini as a windblock layer in windy, non wet conditions (thanks B&S). I'll let people know how the jacket is after some trials in cold. It seems to have a good reputation.

I went into REI near my Philly Office back in August looking for a windblock fleece to replace my 25ish year old EMS jacket. The 20 some-odd sales clerk never heard of windblock - She called over her 30ish manager - he said "Oh yes we stopped carrying WindBlock Fleece many years ago..." and went on to explain to her what it was. He then said to me that Softshells replaced windblock and started to explain what Softshells were (to me) and I mentioned I was familiar with Schoeller fabrics and had owned several pants andbut was seeking something with pitzips and a little looser. he couldn't think of anything offhand that REI carried. I haven't looked any further since. BTW Peakbagger, I still have my TNF Middle Triple GTX jacket from 96ish. My first laminated jacket (I re-member a drive to Campmor to gett it as I was was fed up with ice forming between layers in the two layer GTX on winter trips. :). It is still a bombproof shell all these years later.

I've taken a shot on the Monkey Man. It's the most like the one I've used for 10 years, a 200 weight fleece full zip. I imagine this will feel similar, likely warmer since new. I opted against the wind block, appreciate everyone's comments on that. It would likely be too hot for hiking. I have a good parka for a shell that I will continue to use, but I am going too experiment with the Houdini as a windblock layer in windy, non wet conditions (thanks B&S). I'll let people know how the jacket is after some trials in cold. It seems to have a good reputation.

So here's what I think of the MH Monkey Man fleece after a few months and some winter hikes. I like it but I wouldn't buy it again. The Columbia (Vertex?) I had for 10 years was much better. This one is light but seems thin and is drafty. It has no real reinforced areas but I do like the stretchy, breathable fabric under the arms. The arms are really long. I think I got a good deal and in combination with the Houdini, it works well but overall....meh. 7/10 is generous.

This year I bought an Arc'Teryx Kianite jacket and I have to say the jacket is awesome. It is Polartec Powerstretch, articulated for movement, dense yet thin and not bulky so it layers nicely,etc. Very expensive (I had a gift card and a coupon which really helped lessen the hit to the wallet). It is the best "fleece" I've ever owned. I own an EMS Polartec fleece but it doesn't even compare. The difference is night and day. The Arc'Teryx has a density to it that is very warm and comfortable even damp. (I get cold VERY easy and don't generally wear fleece because of the weight when it gets wet). I have been regularly going out in this jacket and a windshirt in temps as low as 10 deg F and I'm comfortable (not tolerable - comfortable - which for me is quite unusual). I know based on your original post this is probably not quite what you had in mind but if you ever feel the need to upgrade I can't recommend this jacket highly enough.

Consider this a second or third on hitting Ragged. They usually have a sale at the start of Mud Season also, I've gotten things I wanted (do any of us here "Need" gear?) at good prices.

I'm still using gear approaching 20 years old. (granted while working at EMS, I double and tripled up so my current rain coat sat on a shelf at home for 10 years.) Some of this is due to not wearing it. I think you will see that the long term holders of gear are warmer than usual hikers, so shells and pants end up in our packs more than on us. It's has to be a torrential summer rain storm before I wear a coat which only means I get soaked from the inside. My favorite winter piece of outerwear is a wind-bloc vest as pit-zips aren't enough venting for me. I love pit zips when just walking around town in the winter on flat ground but add a hill to that and I perspire too much for anything with sleeves. If it's really cold then I do carry a shell and long sleeve additional garments.

If you are keeping something you like about ten years, I wouldn't stray much from what you currently have.

I picked the vest after sweating too much in shells and after having the wind blow through a regular fleece jacket I wore on a clear calm day up Moosiluake on my first winter trip up there. Shortly after that trip just the wind in Pinkham Notch showed it was not good in the wind.

Last edited:
"If you are keeping something you like about ten years, I wouldn't stray much from what you currently have."

I wish that were easier. If I could find the same or similar model, I would, but after 10 years, there have been a lot of changes! If I could still buy a '96 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 new I'd never need to look at another car, but they don't make them like that anymore!

My favorite piece of hiking clothing is my merino wool full sleeve shirt. I used it to dry off one day when had no towel. Want to see how well something wicks? Try that. Wish I had $100 to drop on a shirt readily available. Gift cards and sales!