Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franconia Notch parking survey

Perhaps EF did not spike that particular tree. But the part of the article that caught my eye was this:

"Earth First!, on the other hand, was much less generous in their reaction, displaying practically no sympathy for this innocent man who had just been through such a terrifying ordeal caused by a spiked tree. And after advocating the tactic for years even putting out a manual on how to do it and teaching tree spiking workshops at [the] Earth First! Rendezvous..."

Wiki: "It is believed that tree spiking originated in timber logging labor disputes in the Pacific Northwest of the United States in the late 19th century[citation needed]. It came to prominence as a contentious tactic within unconventional environmentalist circles during the 1980s, after it was advocated by Earth First! co-founder Dave Foreman in his book Ecodefense."

So sorry, EF doesn't get off so easy in my book. Sure, there are more radical groups out there like ELF, and many EF leaders have denounced certain violent tactics. But the association cannot be denied. It doesn't wipe clean that easily, and EF is still the best known standard bearer for the idea of "violence in defense of wilderness." That's why I mentioned that group when folks starting talking along those lines, earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by TCD; 10-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    On the other hand, getting up early can be rewarding when you get lighting like this.

Tim
    Great shot! One can get similar views at the end of the day too.
    | 61.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Could we split the EF debate into its own thread?

Thanks, Dennis.

Sorry for the sidetrack. I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Not sure if your aware. The bike path is posted "No Dogs Allowed". Not that I follow that dumb rule.
    The Pemi Trail does allow dogs though.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    The Pemi Trail does allow dogs though.
    Occasionally, we use the Pemi trail, but after a long hike, the bike path is faster. We are not above bending the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kittredge View Post
    The problem is that there are just too many GD hikers these days...
    We have met the enemy... And they are US!!

cb
    "Experience is a harsh teacher.
    It gives the test first and the lesson afterwards."

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Thanks, Dennis.

Sorry for the sidetrack. I'm done.
    I'm done too. Not need to split and I don't mean to sound vitriolic in my comments. That's why it's generally best to not make gun comments in threads about hiking. We all get fired up. I see your point and respect your opinion but simply don't like to see EF equated with ELF. They are not the same. People have a tendency to put them all in the same box. Okay, moving on. Apologies for my tone.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    We have met the enemy... And they are US!!

cb
    I think the surge in hiking is a good thing, even if it means we lose some of the solitude we were used to. I view it as people recognizing what we do is as awesome as we think it is. I think this discussion is representative of a growing pain. There are issues, and decisions will be made. We'll see what everything looks like in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Occasionally, we use the Pemi trail, but after a long hike, the bike path is faster. We are not above bending the law.
    I confess I did rollerblade down it once after a hike (Lafayette Place to Liberty Spring). Of course, it was at dusk after it rained, so that ride was its own punishment. Those bridges are planked, in case anyone cares.

And yes, me and friend each hiked with a roller blade in our packs. One of the oddest things I have carried.
    Last edited by TJsName; 10-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I confess I did rollerblade down it once after a hike (Lafayette Place to Liberty Spring). Of course, it was at dusk after it rained, so that ride was its own punishment. Those bridges are planked, in case anyone cares.

And yes, me and friend each hiked with a roller blade in our packs. One of the oddest things I have carried.
    . What’s next? The Precipice Trail
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Just drove through Franconia Notch. Sides of the highway are heavily posted with signs that say, in very small print, that “parking is not allowed along interstate highways.” The reader is then invited to take the survey.

Should be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I'm done too. Not need to split and I don't mean to sound vitriolic in my comments. That's why it's generally best to not make gun comments in threads about hiking. We all get fired up. I see your point and respect your opinion but simply don't like to see EF equated with ELF. They are not the same. People have a tendency to put them all in the same box. Okay, moving on. Apologies for my tone.
    Thanks. Same here.

I really appreciate the good conversations on VFTT, even when some of us disagree with others. The maturity of this board is amazing compared with some other places I lurk.

Thanks.

I too saw the highway plastered with signs while driving through the notch. It will be interesting to see if someone contests the ticket as the Franconia Parkway is not really an interstate highway.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It will be interesting to see if someone contests the ticket as the Franconia Parkway is not really an interstate highway.
    It is. I was involved in a Wikipedia edit war on this shortly after they changed the signs from "To 93" to "93". There's a portion of federal law that states all the requirements for Interstate highways (and the procedure for bringing noncompliant stuff up to snuff). It has an explicit statement that, notwithstanding everything coming before, the Franconia Notch Parkway is considered a compliant portion of the Interstate Highway System.