Franconia Notch parking survey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one problem with a Fri nite arrival is gridlock on I93 in S. NH if you're coming that way......Friday afternoons are AWFUL trying to get up from the border area!!!!

We were the only car at the western end of the Slippery Brook Trail when we arrived last Saturday and left on Sunday. If you're in a crowd, you're part of the problem. :)

To add related issue, with 302 construction through the Notch, parking area full of construction material, Sawyer road closed, Mt. Clinton Road closed, parking was at a premium yesterday. Arrived at 6:45, Mt. Clinton road lot, Highland & AMC Depot all full. Get there early! Anyone have any info on long term plans for Mt. Clinton Road?

one problem with a Fri nite arrival is gridlock on I93 in S. NH if you're coming that way......Friday afternoons are AWFUL trying to get up from the border area!!!!

I'm not able to leave MA until about 7-8pm and traffic is usually over by then.

Franconia Notch Parking

I was driving up I-93 tonight and saw on the signs that change messages something about only parking allowed on approved lots. Don't know much more than that but it sounds like they will be preventing parking along side the road.

It sounds like it's on this weekend.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

The USFS Facebook page had a link to the NH DOT page to an article that covered this, at the end of which was the vague comment that "Over the course of the next few weeks, the State will be advancing new strategies to address the issue.". I expect the new strategies involve ticketing and heavy enforcement. Picked a great weekend to test it out.

EDIT: Forgot link to article :https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/nr2018/20180629-franconia-notch-parking.htm

Passed through today (Saturday), mid-afternoon. Plenty of PARKING signs but cars all down both sides of 93 near the usual trailhead, even right under the signs.... will be interesting to see what happens....

Last edited:
There are flashing message boards on the approach from either direction and one farther down south on the Northbound lane. "Parking in authorized lots only, overflow at exit 34 C" (the Tram lot). They have added a few signs at the tram lot for hiking parking and some signage indicating that the tram parking is on the north end of the lot. When driving by this evening there were a few cars parked on the side of the parkway quite a distance from the lot.

The signs do not say no parking. In fact, the largest word on the sign is, PARKING. Parking has been allowed along the road there for so long, people may think that that is designated parking. This is obviously not going to work. The signs need to be more aggressive like the ones in the Dianna's Bath area.
y1NAv8z5luJiF8KPFqyyN7w8-mvMk9tOxL04AnSdVFct7EzH9Y9UVEQ1aTYkk2_Td8joN-pu0Nw1gyddd9rx2bjb3k4xp_jHEgez_Bcs_RNCA7Q062EwvaKK-tiMifwaz7ePkzgD4mKIsRyMAfN4rNTnCwBeP-PJV_uUqdUMt5fay3tIVw7ZqebFqG-HjCQmFeYAJGbdRlrPphrLxXZM90aV6lQUwXHtMnhwSwgWVeLK5_NIyzScKyz-AWpgUoRYHa4JkDicO-TklJfmQcN3Y4fH75l7G79cz91yRN5ehm1WHNuA2iTPmPsoK_M34HX14ywbtPgDkzYpsJaGxs0us5_oMawET0kMVUvn7kTdr2aoNk52rCAQE9G27N4ElKzolqA6npTi-cMj6ImRcdrj6_4mBm5KHzlJDP012WnsyGauDWHzAWbMPv6sxR_IfuGYNBdzI5V6pj_FX9ZQdoAzdSsaHYA2uhNISHeS2ldMkBs0Y8WFYvRUM7Eb_AGHlUs4uACXdQ1-G90VJ9D9Nn2RQTY4DX1dk5yiKO_mWENlVkVPIAt7UCh_AOvSVcuCgKyKznybJTUSe8Y4tHX8QjXL8m8zajmm7SvHvo1XBt6k=w900-h600-no

Last edited:
Sometimes the worst part of inviting someone to your state is when they show up.

It is definitely sad as NH spends a lot of money pushing for regional tourists from southern New England to come to the state and funds a big chunk of state government on room and meals tax. Odds are they are driving a car and tend to be on the road later in the day. The only rational is maybe the state wants to encourage them to drop down to the Flume or up to the road to the Tram which have nice big parking lots to access the paid attractions.

It is definitely sad as NH spends a lot of money pushing for regional tourists from southern New England to come to the state and funds a big chunk of state government on room and meals tax. Odds are they are driving a car and tend to be on the road later in the day. The only rational is maybe the state wants to encourage them to drop down to the Flume or up to the road to the Tram which have nice big parking lots to access the paid attractions.

It always cracks me up when people not from NH think it's their God given right to visit the state and expect to be treated like royalty. When things don't roll their way and not everyone licks between their toes the threats of never visiting the State start rolling out. Do you think residents of NH never visit other states and pay their fair share of tolls, parking fees, pay taxes on food bought, pay taxes on Hotels stayed in, and yes when they get hurt and need to be rescued they pay their fair share of that too. I think visitors from out of State whom are up on their high horse ought to start obeying New Hampshire's laws or find another state to unload their ignorance on. Our rules are to protect visitors and residents. Play by the rules or take your whining elsewhere. Flame retardant suit now on.