Franconia Notch parking survey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy one all over today. Cars are overflowing Appalachia big time, Pine Link, and Howker Ridge lots as well. Latter two are small. All have cars roadside. All access Madison Hut.

Only 4 cars in Bowman yesterday. :)

What did you hike?

I did Castle > Israel Ridge > Link > Castle Ravine > Edmands Cut Off > Six Husbands > Castle. Pretty good conditions all around. I was a little worried about hitting blow down issues in Castle Ravine with all the Halloween storm issues and reports of the section of Link nearby being trashed but it was fine. Other than the Edmands Col junction and summit of Jefferson (both crammed with people) I only saw about 8 people all day. Gulfside was absolutely packed. I took the long way home via Rte 2 > Rte 16 > Rte 302 > Bear Notch Road > Kanc to check out all the trailheads and they were PACKED, even late in the afternoon.

I did Castle > Israel Ridge > Link > Castle Ravine > Edmands Cut Off > Six Husbands > Castle. Pretty good conditions all around. I was a little worried about hitting blow down issues in Castle Ravine with all the Halloween storm issues and reports of the section of Link nearby being trashed but it was fine. Other than the Edmands Col junction and summit of Jefferson (both crammed with people) I only saw about 8 people all day. Gulfside was absolutely packed. I took the long way home via Rte 2 > Rte 16 > Rte 302 > Bear Notch Road > Kanc to check out all the trailheads and they were PACKED, even late in the afternoon.

Fun loop! Springs flowing?

Fun loop! Springs flowing?

Yes. Both were strong. Used the one at the top of Castle Ravine to tank up for the rest of the day. One on Edmands Cut Off was a small brook really, running across the trail.

Yes. Both were strong. Used the one at the top of Castle Ravine to tank up for the rest of the day. One on Edmands Cut Off was a small brook really, running across the trail.

Excellent. The trail work I joined RMC for last summer on the Cutoff was fun - a neat spot to spend a few hours. Definitely a lightly used trail. Castle Ravine looks awesome. I've only done up to the Link. Did you catch the the Link sign coming down Castle that says 'The Dink'? :)

Excellent. The trail work I joined RMC for last summer on the Cutoff was fun - a neat spot to spend a few hours. Definitely a lightly used trail. Castle Ravine looks awesome. I've only done up to the Link. Did you catch the the Link sign coming down Castle that says 'The Dink'? :)

I did miss that but it sounds familiar from last year when I did this but turned up the Link to Castle Trail instead of going up the ravine. That is one rugged and nasty mile of trail but very fun and picturesque.

Heading down the Notch Sunday early I saw many of the cars on the Prkway that had large white flyers on them.. couldn't make out what they said.