Franconia Notch parking survey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confess I did rollerblade down it once after a hike (Lafayette Place to Liberty Spring). Of course, it was at dusk after it rained, so that ride was its own punishment. Those bridges are planked, in case anyone cares. :eek:

And yes, me and friend each hiked with a roller blade in our packs. One of the oddest things I have carried.
. What’s next? The Precipice Trail:D

Just drove through Franconia Notch. Sides of the highway are heavily posted with signs that say, in very small print, that “parking is not allowed along interstate highways.” The reader is then invited to take the survey.

Should be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

I'm done too. Not need to split and I don't mean to sound vitriolic in my comments. That's why it's generally best to not make gun comments in threads about hiking. We all get fired up. I see your point and respect your opinion but simply don't like to see EF equated with ELF. They are not the same. People have a tendency to put them all in the same box. Okay, moving on. Apologies for my tone.

Thanks. Same here.

I really appreciate the good conversations on VFTT, even when some of us disagree with others. The maturity of this board is amazing compared with some other places I lurk.

Thanks.

I too saw the highway plastered with signs while driving through the notch. It will be interesting to see if someone contests the ticket as the Franconia Parkway is not really an interstate highway.

It will be interesting to see if someone contests the ticket as the Franconia Parkway is not really an interstate highway.

It is. I was involved in a Wikipedia edit war on this shortly after they changed the signs from "To 93" to "93". There's a portion of federal law that states all the requirements for Interstate highways (and the procedure for bringing noncompliant stuff up to snuff). It has an explicit statement that, notwithstanding everything coming before, the Franconia Notch Parkway is considered a compliant portion of the Interstate Highway System.

Just drove through Franconia Notch. Sides of the highway are heavily posted with signs that say, in very small print, that “parking is not allowed along interstate highways.” The reader is then invited to take the survey.

Should be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

The theory of 'monkey see, monkey do' says that many people will still park there one the first few do, unless they park a state trooper right there. Think SLA Rattlesnakes in mud season.

A picture of one of the signs posted along the highway.

i-Kmsqnh9-L.jpg

I expect the folks from Quebec who speak French will suddenly lose any ability to read English. Unless there is active enforcement and towing I don't see it making much of a difference and instead will become a PR nightmare. Note this kicked in conveniently after at least one AMC hut is closed.

No problem with the Feds or State fixing the parking issue there. No problem for hikers doing what they are now doing. Just some inconvenience to come no big deal. They've done it thousands of times across the USA in our National Parks etc. They will come up with an answer and probably already have and we all will have to live with the changes. This hasn't happened overnight. They've had many years to think this out.

Did the Franconia Ridge Loop today. Cars were crazy parked along the roadway. Only problem was not being able to see traffic when I trid to get back on 93. That was annoying, but I did not die!

Nice hike.

Going around on Facebook hiking groups:

Here is the latest memo from the Phil Bryce, director of state parks regarding parking on 93.

FNSP OFFICIAL MESSAGE RE: PARKING ON ROUTE 93:

• It is NOT legal to park on Rte 93 / Franconia Notch Parkway;
• Doing so is unsafe and ill-advised;
• There IS limited hiker parking within Franconia Notch. Most parking is specifically for visitors to the attractions in the park, so plan to arrive EARLY;

o Flume Gorge has some limited hiker parking space for Pemi Trail hikers and for visitors using the bike trail;
o Lafayette has limited hiker parking that fills up fast OUTSIDE the campground. Parking inside the campground is for campers only;
o Aerial Tramway has limited hiker parking in the gravel lot by the old ski jumps;
o Echo Lake Beach has limited hiker parking for Bald Knob/Artist Bluff hikers

• The main parking areas at our four primary venues are reserved for paying guests at those venues;

o Flume Gorge / Lafayette Place CG / Aerial Tramway / Echo Lake Beach

• Stay tuned, as alternative hiker parking plans are under discussion!

Philip A. Bryce
Director
NH Division of Parks and Recreation
(w) 603-271-3556 (c) 603-340-7846
www.nhstateparks.org
[email protected]

Tim

o Aerial Tramway has limited hiker parking in the gravel lot by the old ski jumps;

This is...not particularly helpful, as it assumes hikers are familiar with the development history of the ski area. I've always parked in the portion of the paved lot closest to the Parkway; "hiker parking" signs seemed to direct there.

I'm absolutely in favor of "show up early for a spot" but if everybody shows up early, the spots are going to be gone. (Really I'd rather other people not show up early so I'm guaranteed a spot for showing up early.)

I expect all heck will break lose when hut guests cant find a place to park and miss their reservations. My observations of both Appalachia and the Lafayette lots are that the hut guests come later in the day but before the day hikers have made it down, thus there is period of time mid day when there is double the demand for parking. When I drive by in the early AM there are all sorts of spaces right at the trail head with cars parked along the road for quite a distance. I presume the parked cars are mostly hut guests. Same thing in the evening, when the day hikers comes down the lots near the trail head open up while cars are strung out along the parkway. It would be real interesting if AMC tries to reserve spaces for hut guests, I expect they would need an attendant to keep tires from getting deflated on a frequent basis ;) When upset paying guests at Greenleaf get towed or miss their nights at the huts, AMC is going to be forced into some sort of temporary shuttle or some entrepreneur will fill the gap. A similar situation occurred at Diana's baths and a local taxi service hopped in fairly quickly once Conway started aggressive ticketing. What doesn't work is not to enforce the rules and then do sporadic enforcement as that just gives state tourism a bad rap.

One alternative, park at the tram and take a junk bike, coast down the bike path (not a lot of pedaling required). Stash the bike at Lafayette place and then hike up Falling Waters then down Greenleaf back to the tram lot and then pick up the bike on the way home. Either that or pick up a ride share bike that seem to litter some cities and just leave it there ;). The distance is around 2 miles and elevation change is around 200 feet so it not like its major effort to ride or walk backup.

I am an early bird so hope they dont screw up the option of getting there early. I usually get going early enough that there is space in the lot on the southbound side right near the tunnel.

I'm absolutely in favor of "show up early for a spot" but if everybody shows up early, the spots are going to be gone. (Really I'd rather other people not show up early so I'm guaranteed a spot for showing up early.)

One thing I truly believe I can always count on. Human nature. I will be earlier than the crowd.

That said, I'll be nowhere near Franconia Ridge on summer Saturdays. Look for me on one of the Howks.

One thing I truly believe I can always count on. Human nature. I will be earlier than the crowd.

That said, I'll be nowhere near Franconia Ridge on summer Saturdays. Look for me on one of the Howks.

The Howks are awesome!

I expect all heck will break lose when hut guests cant find a place to park and miss their reservations.

I would not be surprised, that if this no parking gets put into place, several parking spots in both lots (either side of 93) are made reserved for hut guests. Then all heck will break out for sure.

I was wondering why there were no cars on Rte 93 at Lafayette when I drove home SAT afternoon of Memorial Day Weekend. Seemed unlikely it was just the weather.