Finishing the New England Hundred Highest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Took longer than expected to finally get after that Maine 6-pack, but I finally got it done during 3 solo trips to Maine this summer/early Fall. Finished on North Kennebago Divide this last Saturday.

Dressed up my FTFC completer letter with some pictures and made it into a Trip Report over on Summit Post.

From my first NEHH peak (Eisenhower) in June 1995 to completion on NKD took 22 years and change ... actually only a few weeks off the amount of time it took me to do all 50 State Highpoints. Go figure. Also, all 100 NEHH peaks were done solo ... mostly a testament to how incorrigible I am.

Link to TR below:

The Maine Six Pack and a New England Hundred Highest Completion

Congrats on your accomplishment made more impressive by soloing. I generally find "the committee method" of bushwhacking a preferable way of bushwhacking as rarely does everyone get turned around.

I also am glad it appears you resisted the "follow the beep" mentality of following other folks track logs with a GPS.

I still need to get over there to do Cupsuptic Snow as it wasn't on the list when I finished long ago. NKD also was not on the list but on AMC Labor Day 4 pack bushwhacking trip Gene Daniell mentioned we were walking right by it so we grabbed it as it was a candidate for the list.

Thanks peakbagger. No GPS indeed. Not that I’m “too good” to use one ... just not smart enough to figure them out. Old school compass skills definitely came in handy on North Kennebago Divide though.

Good luck with Cupsuptic Snow if and when you make it there. For me, it was probably the most fun of the six. Lots of little landmarks to look out for ... from cairns to wooden stick arrows. Pretty cool.

Congratulations. My wife and I had trouble on North Kennebago Divide as well, solved by sitting and eating peaches. I am really grateful for all the places that list got me.

I am really grateful for all the places that list got me.

That’s exactly it. While many of the lower 33 are nearby the “48” in NH, the Maine and Vermont portions of the NEHH really take you all over the place. Super cool list, no question about it.

Nice to know I’m not the only one who had some problems on NKD. Was a little embarrassed by my fail on round one, but at the same time, I recognize I am really only an average bushwhacker at best ... at least in a crowd like this one.