Thread: Baxter Peak via the Hunt Trail, Saturday 10/7, plus gratuitous Baxter In Autumn Shots

Baxter Peak via the Hunt Trail, Saturday 10/7, plus gratuitous Baxter In Autumn Shots

If there is a better place to celebrate the glory of autumn than Baxter State Park, over Columbus Day weekend, I have not found it yet.

Unsettled weather and slowly advancing physical decrepitude combined to make it a somewhat less successful hiking weekend than in past years. Still, given the excellent company, magnificent scenery, and abundant wildlife, it would be downright ungrateful to complain about sore knees.

Hikers descending the Hunt Trail.

An Owl and his Brothers, from the Hunt Trail

Paddlers on Kidney Pond

This bull moose was following a cow, who had a calf, and was clearly more interested in fine vegetarian cuisine than in romance.

Dawn mist on Kidney Pond

From the prior weekend - Katahdin from Sunday Pond

Jonathan

Absolutely fantastic pics! Well done.

Wow, incredible shots. Must have been absolutely splendid!

Yeah! Great shots! :-)
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Near Lake Louise
    Beautiful pics. I've only been to Baxter Peak twice, and hope to do so again despite my also experiencing "...advancing physical decrepitude."

OUTSTANDING pics of a great place!!!
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn"-J.Muir

We've had better and worse Columbus weekends at BSP, so I'd call this average, perhaps a bit below, since at Bear Brook we had heavy showers Saturday night and again nearby for several hours Sunday, as we trudged to Lake Katahdin and back. The weather was good the rest of the time and foliage better than last year. We planned to summit Katahdin by Helon Taylor and Knife Edge on Saturday, as on past occasions, but heavy winds blowing thick mist over the ridge ruled that out. At least we had some good views above treeline before the clouds and wind descended:

Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    We've had better and worse Columbus weekends at BSP, so I'd call this average, perhaps a bit below, since at Bear Brook we had heavy showers Saturday night and again nearby for several hours Sunday, as we trudged to Lake Katahdin and back. The weather was good the rest of the time and foliage better than last year. We planned to summit Katahdin by Helon Taylor and Knife Edge on Saturday, as on past occasions, but heavy winds blowing thick mist over the ridge ruled that out. At least we had some good views above treeline before the clouds and wind descended:

Beautiful shot! It was certainly a soggier weekend than we had expected.

Thank you to all for the kind responses, much appreciated.

Jonathan

Great photos Amicus and Jonathan!
    Pick up your feet!