Porter/Cascade From Marcy Airfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Considering Porter and Cascade from the Marcy airfield side in the next week or two and I had a few questions:

1) IIRC that lot is a pretty good size with possible road parking as well. I have a very long drive so I won't be there until 7-7:30AM. Will I have an issue getting a spot? Is it a fee lot?
2) Guide describes the trail as following logging roads and logged areas early on. Is it well marked/easy to follow? Will downed leaves present any issues following the trails in the lower elevations?

Any input on this route choice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should not have a parking problem except on busy summer or holiday weekends. It is the overflow parking for the Garden lot. I assume you have researched the ascent. I tell people it is like climbing Mt Marcy in half the distance. Blueberry alone is a 2000 ft climb in 2.3 miles.

The trail is a messy wet ditch for a while above Blueberry, but above that it is a beautiful alpine route with big old growth trees.

Hope you enjoy it.

Also, make sure to take time to enjoy the weird open rock area just past Blueberry. Very cool and unusual place, especially at that moderate elevation.

You should not have a parking problem except on busy summer or holiday weekends. It is the overflow parking for the Garden lot. I assume you have researched the ascent. I tell people it is like climbing Mt Marcy in half the distance. Blueberry alone is a 2000 ft climb in 2.3 miles.

The trail is a messy wet ditch for a while above Blueberry, but above that it is a beautiful alpine route with big old growth trees.

Hope you enjoy it.

I've read the trail description and looked at topo. Didn't sound any worse than what I do in the Whites. As long as it isn't covered in icy ledges I'll be fine with that aspect of it. The ridge looks like a great walk. I intended to do far more hiking in NY than I did this year (one trip out back in May) but most of the trail heads are at the limit of my day tripping range so I normally try to camp (closest trail heads for me are about 3h 30m to 4h). Schedule just didn't cooperate so I hammered NH again this year but I'm a little burnt out on the Whites right now.

I recently joined an Adirondack Facebook group and seeing all the photos of mountains I intended to hike this Summer got me back in "NY mode". So hopefully the weather and my schedule will align and I can get up there a few times before Winter kicks in. Thanks for the reply.

Also, make sure to take time to enjoy the weird open rock area just past Blueberry. Very cool and unusual place, especially at that moderate elevation.

Will do. Do I need to venture off trail to take advantage of this area or is it right on the trail? I usually budget at least 15-20 minutes for key outlooks when I do hikes like that. So I'll definitely keep that area in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

The trail goes right across the open rock area - no side trip required. But it's fun to walk around for a few minutes and check it out.

The trail goes right across the open rock area - no side trip required. But it's fun to walk around for a few minutes and check it out.

I was able to do this hike SUN and that area, and quite a few others, was very nice indeed. The sun was just clearing the mountains as I was reaching the first ledges so I got some great golden light at all the outlooks with some interesting high clouds. By the time I got back from Cascade and Porter these areas had brilliant afternoon sun that gave all the outlooks brilliant color. Spent 15 minutes there in both directions. This area reminded me of the Blueberry Hill part of the RPR ridge from the New Russia side.