Hard snow on the summits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The clouds held steady a bit this morning (Friday) but around 10 AM I could see snow in the trees down to about 3500 feet. It warmed up and the sun was out all day yet the snow line remained around 4000 feet. The Great Gully snow field in Kings Ravine stayed white all day. I expect some folks planning high summits may have a surprise in the AM.

The clouds held steady a bit this morning (Friday) but around 10 AM I could see snow in the trees down to about 3500 feet. It warmed up and the sun was out all day yet the snow line remained around 4000 feet. The Great Gully snow field in Kings Ravine stayed white all day. I expect some folks planning high summits may have a surprise in the AM.

I drove around the Northern Pressies this afternoon and was happy to see that white. Lafayette had a bit too. Traction tomorrow.

I've seen trip reports on failed summit bids on IKE. Hello people, check on conditions. Jeesh.

I went up Caps Ridge Trail SAT AM to catch a sunrise along the Gulfside Trail and I was seeing snow as low as 3200'. Was easily 3-4 inches of wet snow above treeline with actual drifting in spots in Monticello Lawn. I probed some gaps in the rocks with my trekking poles that had a foot of snow in them. I didn't wear traction but there were places it would have been helpful. It was warm though and it was melting fast. Even at 7AM on Gulfside Trail I measured an air temp of 41 deg F. Snow was disappearing fast at the lower elevations on my way out.

I've seen trip reports on failed summit bids on IKE. Hello people, check on conditions. Jeesh.

I was pleasantly surprised SAT AM to see people heading up Caps Ridge with spikes on and plenty of gear. Saw a lot of people, maybe 30+ by 10:15 AM. Of course, many were wearing jeans, golf shirts and some had no backpacks. One guy was doing all the Northern Presidentials but didn't know where Mount Washington was. But hey. At least some of them planned in advance. :p