Trail / Road / Bridge Damage

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm not seeing much posted in the way of storm damage on Adirondack websites and forums like we are for NH (I apologize in advance if I may have missed some - haven't had TV or internet for 3 days now so my online activity has been limited to brief stints at work). Did NY and the Adirondacks avoid the damage that we've seen in NH? Just curious. Based on the damage reports around the Whites hiking opportunities may be limited with all the road closures, erosion and lost bridges. I may find myself heading out to NY to hike the Adirondacks or Catskills for a few weeks.

If anyone can comment on storm status in the High Peaks or point me in the direction of sites with coverage it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, Livingston Manor had flooding (South of the Catskills), and the streams yesterday were high along Rt. 28/42, but not ridiculous.

No real issues up here in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. Water was a bit high, with crests just barely touching "flood stage," but no reports of damage.

NYS DEC page is "kinda sorta" up to date, and there are no reports of new problems there.

So I think being more inland we had it a little easier here.

Definitely a few more trees down here and there, but no stretches of trail seriously blocked by blowdown as was the case after Hurricane Floyd in 1999. There may be a few reports after this weekend as Saturday appears to be a good day to get out before it again rains on Sunday. Look at the Adirondack hiking sites: www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums or www.adkforum.com.

I do follow those forums as well as some Facebook groups but hadn't seen much. They seem to be less active than the NH forums and sites are.