Thread: Winter Conditions this weekend

Winter Conditions this weekend

Forecast is for the thirties this Saturday in the whites. I see a lot of hikes being listed by various groups that may be assuming that the unusually warm October will run indefinitely into November. That is not the case for Saturday. With potential teens overnight on Friday and possible snow showers on Sunday it may be unwelcome surprise to some.

Cold AND snow in november ? OMG !!!

Did some blowdown clearing Saturday in Grafton Notch Saw a few hikers who were carrying hillsounds or micrispikes who asked if the trails were icy. We could see the rime ice building on the trees on West Baldpate and Old Speck, but the trails were clear. Was odd for November when normally higher elevations are frozen solid or snow covered. Its about time the weather turned more seasonal

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Forecast is for the thirties this Saturday in the whites. I see a lot of hikes being listed by various groups that may be assuming that the unusually warm October will run indefinitely into November. That is not the case for Saturday. With potential teens overnight on Friday and possible snow showers on Sunday it may be unwelcome surprise to some.
    Now that winter is here don't forget your dog shit bag.....

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    Now that winter is here don't forget your dog shit bag.....
    You mean, "don't forget your dog, shit bag?" Or, "don't forget your dogshit bag?"
    Miehoff

Quote Originally Posted by miehoff View Post
    You mean, "don't forget your dog, shit bag?" Or, "don't forget your dogshit bag?"
    I like option A better.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I like option A better.
    Maybe both? Hmm.
    Miehoff

My place in Gorham got about an inch of snow last night that was preceded by rain, I expect the tow truck driver will be making their payments today.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My place in Gorham got about an inch of snow last night that was preceded by rain, I expect the tow truck driver will be making their payments today.
    Thunder snow in Randolph Friday AM. Rt 2 was a full on white out at 5:30 AM in Jefferson/Randolph when I left. Appalachia stayed pretty deserted. Garfield was breezy on top and plenty cold but we were out by 1 PM.
    Last edited by Raven; 11-11-2017 at 04:26 AM.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Saturday was a top ten day.

Franconia Ridge was stunning - I left late, there was almost no wind left on Liberty and Flume and clear, blue skies. It was cold but not noticeably so without wind and with continual movement. I saw groups eating lunch above treeline on Liberty in the open (but that was deceptive - it was cold out there and certainly frost bite weather if not careful). Microspikes were useful most of the day, although not a necessity.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Hi Raven, what was the trail condition going up to Liberty and Flume? Any blowdowns ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Saturday was a top ten day.

Franconia Ridge was stunning - I left late, there was almost no wind left on Liberty and Flume and clear, blue skies. It was cold but not noticeably so without wind and with continual movement. I saw groups eating lunch above treeline on Liberty in the open (but that was deceptive - it was cold out there and certainly frost bite weather if not careful). Microspikes were useful most of the day, although not a necessity.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    Hi Raven, what was the trail condition going up to Liberty and Flume? Any blowdowns ?
    There were several entries on Facebook Trails NH group indicating that the bulk of the damage has been cleared on Liberty Springs Trail and FRT between the junction and over Liberty and to Flume. However, the section of FRT from Liberty junction over to Little Haystack is pretty well destroyed and very difficult and at least as of a few days ago has not seen any efforts to clear.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by Brambor View Post
    Not an issue. Trail was covered in a few inches snow over rocks and roots so care needed but blowdowns not a concern on the route up Liberty Spring and along the ridge to Flume.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~