soft shell Q

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
Never thought much about soft shells, until now - got one for birthday, and am curious as how use it.

It's a NF 'ninble zip-shirt'. smooth outside, softer inside, but only 1 layer material. Doesn't say what material is, or how to clean. water-resistant (not w-proof), so not an outer layer layer if weather heads south. Very stretchy - feels like an elastic band, so good for wind breaker, ... and rock climbing? Not tight, but not loose either - never get a sweater/etc on under it.(is this the right size of should I larger?), but given the material, doesn't seem like an inner layer. or a comfy summer pull-over for cool night in woods either.

So how do I use it? With an upper base layer for hikes / walks this time of year in non-threatening weather?

What am I missing?

Last edited:
I would say, use it for anything when it gets too cold for single wool layer and when it's not pouring rain. For rain or extreme winds you carry a hard shell in Your backpack and a spare wool layer in the backpack in case you got too sweaty and needed a dry layer.

It washes better than hardshell - I'd throw it into the washer every time it got too saturated with sweat or every 10 trips...

Never thought much about soft shells, until now - got one for birthday, and am curious as how use it.

It's a NF 'ninble zip-shirt'. smooth outside, softer inside, but only 1 layer material. Doesn't say what material is, or how to clean. water-resistant (not w-proof), so not an outer layer layer if weather heads south. Very stretchy - feels like an elastic band, so good for wind breaker, ... and rock climbing? Not tight, but not loose either - never get a sweater/etc on under it.(is this the right size of should I larger?), but given the material, doesn't seem like an inner layer. or a comfy summer pull-over for cool night in woods either.

So how do I use it? With an upper base layer for hikes / walks this time of year in non-threatening weather?

What am I missing?

I'll offer some input. The idea behind a softshell is that it will protect against wind and water, but still breath very well. It will not compete with Gore-Tex, but it will out breath Gore-Tex, all day long. I bought my first softshell item 5 years ago, in the form of winter pants. They are the best upgrade I've ever made for winter. They are moisture resistant to the point, I can be out in snowfall or light rain, but breath incredibly well. I use them in my layering system. If it's above say 25, nothing under them, below 25, I'll add a base layer. All that being said, how you plan to incorporate it in your clothing system should dictate the size. If your just going to wear a base layer under it, you should be good, if you want to wear a heavier layer under it, you might go up a size. Look at all you carry and see where you want to fit it in. I pack clothes that can compliment each other throughout the day and through various conditions.

Use it as a light windbreaker. It's far more breathable, so on cool days you can leave it on while exercising moderately. It should be sized so that you can easily throw a down jacket (or a hard shell) on top of it when you stop or when the weather gets severe.

I use my softshell stuff rather less than I expected - it's a little too warming for many non-winter uses, and I miss having pockets (I got the ultralight stuff since I'm usually also carrying truly waterproof gear). But there are times when it's absolutely perfect.