Economy Version Of Marmot DriClime Windshirt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my experience...

I own:
1) An unlined Pertex cycling shell with pit zips (designed by Will Steger and sold, briefly, by Lands End of all places).
2) An EMS knock-off of the DriClime Windshirt with pit zips.
3) A Stephenson's Warmlite VB shirt.

Of these, the EMS "DriClime Windshirt" is used on nearly every trip year round. The pit zips are critical for my use.

In terms of theory meeting practice, I've been influenced by 2 authors and my experience closely matches what they describe. The first is Will Steger, who wrote about the virtue of using a wind shirt close to the core. The idea is not full blown VB shirt. But it is about creating a moist micro climate near the skin.

The other writer who's work has been even more helpful has Chris Townsend, author of "The Backpacker's Handbook" in which he describes the use of Buffalo System's Pertex and Pile clothing in wet Scotland. The idea of Pertex and Pile is to accept that you're going to get wet and to combine super wind permeable and wicking pile with a Pertex and huge ventilation zippers. The idea is to control temperature with the zipper and to allow wind to be able to reach deep inside towards to core to dump heat.

My practice is something like a modified Pertex and Pile... I layer with synth t-shirt, 100 wt fleece zip t-neck and then (for really cold) an unlined pile (not fleece) cardigan, all topped with the EMC "DriClime" wind shirt. Both the 100 wt zip t-neck and pile are chosen for maximum wind permeability. This means than when I open the pit zips, I dump both heat and moisture immediately.

I use this system year round, changing only what I carry: T shirt in the summer, add 100 wt zip t in shoulder seasons, add pile in deep winter.

Couple of other notes based on the discussion...

- I don't use wool for under layers while moving. They hold too much moisture and aren't permeable enough, for me.

- I *DO* use a VB shirt for deep winter camping but only in camp. It goes on over a polyester zip-t and under the pile. This helps dry the pile out fast. I never hike in the VB shirt, but to be honest, I've simply not tried it that much.

If I had to replace my beloved EMS wind shirt, I would most likely too look at one of the Buffalo Systems shirts. Massive heat dumping zippers are critical for success, ime.

But it is about creating a moist micro climate near the skin.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the moist microclimate near the skin thing. What's wrong with evaporating sweat on the skin where it does the most good?

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the moist microclimate near the skin thing. What's wrong with evaporating sweat on the skin where it does the most good?

In cold weather when you are at rest, the evaporation produces constant chills.

When you are moving and producing heat, you want to move it way from you. When you are resting, you want to hold moisture close to the body.

This is why I use venting wind shirt shell on the outside for most activities and VB shirt close to skin in camp.

If it's too warm to wear the VB shirt, I move the wind shirt closer to the core when at rest and it acts like a pseudo VB shirt, which was Steger's point.

Went hunting in northern Vermont this past weekend. Long periods of just sitting and I wore the wind shirt relatively close to the body for the sort of VB effect.

If you're willing to forego the tricot lining, this is the hoody I picked up a few years ago for $45. It's from Marmot and made of the same material as their "DriClime" garments (which simply add a tricot lining), namely "100% Polyester Ripstop DWR 1.5 oz/yd".

Trail Wind Hoody
Currently $59.50 from Marmot (but only size Large and up).

It's also available in a jacket model for $56 (Small thru XL).
Trail Wind Jacket

If your current DriClime jacket refuses to lose its funky odor after normal laundering, try Mirazyme. I've had success with it. I overlooked to remove a damp rain jacket sealed in a stuff sack in the bottom of my pack. Days later I wondered where it was then had an oh-sh*t! moment. Yup, it smelled like something you'd never want to wear again. The odor lingered after washing it so I soaked it in Mirazyme and that did the trick.

FWIW, I had the Mirazyme on hand because I had attempted to eliminate a persistent odor in a old tent (that had always been stored properly). It didn't work and I concluded it was (sadly) the floor's PU coating oxidizing with age and off-gassing something stinky. No amount of washing, wind, sunshine, or Mirazyme, has eliminated it. Oh well.

I wound up getting a Marmot Trail Wind Jacket (worked out a price match on a black on with the Marmot website so got an extra 10% off :)). Looking forward to trying it this weekend. It as a larger vent area in the arm pits versus the DriClime I have so I am hoping it will breathe a bit better and improve the overall system. Thanks for the suggestion.