Thorne Hill Cliff Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBates

Reaction score
I've discovered an unofficial but well-marked trail that may be of interest.IMG_3118.jpg

The trail leads to the cliff on Thorne Hill that can be seen from Rt 16 just south of Glen NH. It offers a stunning view to the south for about 35 minutes of hiking, one-way.

To get to the trailhead, start from the intersection of Rt. 16 and Mittenwald Strasse, just north of Glen. Kringle's store is at that intersection. Drive up hill to make a left at Karwendall Strasse. Make the first right onto Summit Vista Dr. There's a parking lot where the pavement ends and the road curves sharply right, downhill. Park there. Look for the access road going up hill to the cell tower. Walk that road for about 150 feet. The trail entrance is on the left. No sign, but you'll see it marked with orange tape.

Follow the orange-tape trail to the intersection with the yellow tape trail. Continue following the orange trail until the intersection with the pink trail. The pink trail leads to the cliff. Alternatively, take the yellow trail uphill to the wooded summit. The yellow trail ends there, intersecting with the orange and pink trails. Follow the pink trail to the cliff, or follow the orange trail to where it meets the pink trail.

I think you've found the cliff marked at 1258' on most topo maps. Should be an even quicker stroll from the southeastern end of Mittenwaldstrasse. I once looked around for the exact summit of Thorn Hill, starting near your trailhead, but didn't see any flagging at that time.

There's another viewing cliff overlooking the north end of the Christmas Mtn condo complex, around 1000', takes five or ten minutes. At the north end of Christmas Mountain Road, uphill from a gazebo, there's a dumpster. A well-worn trail heads north and uphill from there, passes very near a big house (practically touching the top of the driveway, which descends north to Fanum Ln), and turns west to a south-facing overlook with some old railings. The trail may or may not continue westerly toward dinsmore rd.

Yes, there is a quicker way. I didn't give this way as it requires going through a private driveway.

Find someplace to park on the road towards the end of Mittenwald Strasse. Walk up the road past the sign saying "private". Shortly after that sign there's an old jeep road that heads up the hill. Follow that road until you get to the trail marked with the pink tape. Follow it to the right.

Yes, there's a nice little cliff near Christmas Mountain. The trail you mention is there, but hard to follow. The cliff can also be reached from a trail that starts near the parking lot of the Christmas Mountain Club.

Last edited: