Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Woman shot while mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Does pay-for-service include police and fire? Why not privatize all public services? It'll be like signing up for health insurance. You want the gold package?

As for licenses, I am curious how much licenses fund, vs act as a means to regulate and monitor hunting. If it was purely financial I'd be fine if the funds came out of the general fund to reduce inefficiency. I suspect there is an important data component though.
    Police and Fire are paid for via your taxes. true story. When I lived in CO there was a small town that had a financial problem. The Fire dept. sent out a notice saying you had to pay a fee to be on "their list" to receive services. One day a fire call came out and arriving at the house realized, the home owner had not paid the fee. They let his house burn, even with him shouting, I'll pay !!!!

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Police and Fire are paid for via your taxes. true story. When I lived in CO there was a small town that had a financial problem. The Fire dept. sent out a notice saying you had to pay a fee to be on "their list" to receive services. One day a fire call came out and arriving at the house realized, the home owner had not paid the fee. They let his house burn, even with him shouting, I'll pay !!!!
    I feel like we're on the same page so long as we both agreed that anecdote is a bad situation.
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

What privileges do hikers have? Besides, on most of the 4k's, you will never see a hunter. I always find it fascinating when hikers try to bring up restrictions on themselves. I've heard mention of quota's, limiting car's in parking area's. The whole idea behind going to the mountains is to get away from restrictions, imo. I'm not skipping a month, so someone can have the woods alone to hunt.
    Continued population growth will eventually require limits on your ability to hike wherever and whenever you want. Just like other outdoor activities, hiking has a big impact. The day is coming where hiking will be limited on public lands. It already is in some places (eg, BSP).

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Continued population growth will eventually require limits on your ability to hike wherever and whenever you want. Just like other outdoor activities, hiking has a big impact. The day is coming where hiking will be limited on public lands. It already is in some places (eg, BSP).
    Baxter is not exactly the same model as the Whites. It's a private park donated and under the condition that it be run as Baxter stated.

I hope they made sure that there was no one left inside that burning house!

I think there is a certain qualitative difference between Police or Fire Department services and SAR. In case of former arguably almost all local residents might benefit from these services at some point in their lives, so the case for funding them through taxes is stronger. When it comes to SAR, it primarily serves a smaller population in the course of their elective activities. Hence it seems fair to me if funding of SAR were more targeted. Using some portion of parking fees certainly could be a way of at least partially addressing the problem.

There is some hunting allowed within Baxter Park, mainly in the southern section where day use might be common during hunting season. Many maps delineate this area and I would presume that the sign on the tote road directing that weapons be stored marks the east-west line of the northern limit of this hunting area.

Baxter is not exactly the same model as the Whites. It's a private park donated and under the condition that it be run as Baxter stated.
    True of course. But not relevant. Continued population growth will require limiting access to public lands at some point. Perhaps not in our lifetime, but the earth's land masses are not expanding and, if anything, are shrinking with climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    True of course. But not relevant. Continued population growth will require limiting access to public lands at some point. Perhaps not in our lifetime, but the earth's land masses are not expanding and, if anything, are shrinking with climate change.
    Assuming population will continue to grow may be safe for a time but how long? Population will continue to grow until it doesn't. Natural limits based on carrying capacity of the planet exist for all species. Humans have surpassed theirs. It's why we are looking to colonize Mars and the moon. Get your ticket. When it is coming and what major environmental factor will limit that growth is the mystery.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Assuming population will continue to grow may be safe for a time but how long? Population will continue to grow until it doesn't. Natural limits based on carrying capacity of the planet exist for all species. Humans have surpassed theirs. It's why we are looking to colonize Mars and the moon. Get your ticket. When it is coming and what major environmental factor will limit that growth is the mystery.
    Mars International Sand Dune Park. Are they giving a Senior discount yet or do I have to pay full price for a life time pass?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey