Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Woman shot while mountain biking

  1. #16
    Junior Member JToll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    7
    It is a little early to draw any conclusions. Was the woman wearing orange? What time of day did this happen? Was she on a bike path? If so did the hunter shoot across the bike path?

  2. #17
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,683
    Agree with JToll. Lots of folks racing to draw conclusions when we have no idea of the facts. Article has minimal info. Not even sure where this happened... "Near" a certain park means almost nothing. Wait for info before drawing conclusions.

  3. #18
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,363
    Man, some of you guy's should be on his jury if it comes to that. He shot a woman on a bike, he should be held to a criminal standard for sure. Not to mention, she should be talking to a good lawyer to sue his dumb ass. As a hunter, not only should you 100% know what your target is, you should also know, where your bullet will end up, if you miss.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    468
    Did he intentionally shoot her? Did he know there was a bike path in the area? Was he shooting at a deer and missed? Until then, it's an accident.

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Man, some of you guy's should be on his jury if it comes to that. He shot a woman on a bike, he should be held to a criminal standard for sure. Not to mention, she should be talking to a good lawyer to sue his dumb ass. As a hunter, not only should you 100% know what your target is, you should also know, where your bullet will end up, if you miss.
    The proud American tradition of "guilty until proven innocent in the court of public opinion"? I have been on juries and the instructions on a criminal trial is innocent until proven guilty. Do you propose getting a rope and a bunch of bike riders, deputize them as deputy sheriffs and hang the individual off the nearest tree branch?

    The limited press on this is that F&G is reconstructing the event to rule out accidental causes. That means collecting facts that support or don't support various scenarios. These are accident, negligence and deliberate. If the individual who pulled the trigger had a sniper nest and was aiming for human prey, he would be in jail with probable cause or out on bail. F&G must have decided that this event hasn't risen to that level and thus have decided to investigate and then file charges as appropriate.

    Sure the individual who was shot can get a lawyer and I expect the lawyer will definitely try to make some bucks off the deal but I am glad that F&G approaches this objectively.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-24-2017 at 05:30 AM.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stamford, VT
    Posts
    1,199

  7. #22
    Senior Member dug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Xanadu
    Posts
    1,865
    So, it was entirely possible he shot at a deer, with a clear view behind it, and the biker (traveling at a high rate of speed) came into view with little or no warning?

    I also read at some point she was hit with a "fragment" which could mean she was not a target, but it was a deflected shot?

    I think I'll wait a little bit before commencing the stoning.

  8. #23
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,074

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post

    I think I'll wait a little bit before commencing the stoning.
    No worries the real stoning begins in a month or so when people in the woods start post holing your favorite trail or when a news snippet about a rescue occurs.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  9. #24
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The proud American tradition of "guilty until proven innocent in the court of public opinion"? I have been on juries and the instructions on a criminal trial is innocent until proven guilty. Do you propose getting a rope and a bunch of bike riders, deputize them as deputy sheriffs and hang the individual off the nearest tree branch?

    The limited press on this is that F&G is reconstructing the event to rule out accidental causes. That means collecting facts that support or don't support various scenarios. These are accident, negligence and deliberate. If the individual who pulled the trigger had a sniper nest and was aiming for human prey, he would be in jail with probable cause or out on bail. F&G must have decided that this event hasn't risen to that level and thus have decided to investigate and then file charges as appropriate.

    Sure the individual who was shot can get a lawyer and I expect the lawyer will definitely try to make some bucks off the deal but I am glad that F&G approaches this objectively.
    I'm all about traditions.

  10. #25
    Senior Member jniehof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dover,NH
    Posts
    961
    It looks like F&G is being unclear about whether the restriction on discharge within 150' of trails and 300' of developed recreation areas is a "best practice" or a "regulation". A deer slug can be effective at 100 yards and my cousin was shot at nearly 200 yards because somebody shot up at a deer on the ridge and the loft gave it extra range. The slug was found in his clothes after going clear through his body...he did make a full recovery. My family switched to buckshot after that incident. People in general seem unaware of exactly how large a clear area is necessary, and some of those unaware are carrying rifles. I'm starting to wonder (not seriously) if in addition to the orange it's worth making a bunch of noise, both for being noticed and for scaring the game away. Jerk move, but it eliminates the "oh I was just taking the shot at the game and didn't see the person" issue.

  11. #26
    Senior Member wardsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in NH
    Posts
    685
    Oddly enough, I was scolded by a woman on the Guinea Pond/Flat Mountain Pond Trail yesterday for not wearing blaze orange. I was wearing orange pants and a blaze yellow longsleeved top. Is the wearing of blaze orange a requirement for hiking in hunting season?
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader: Southern Presidentials

  12. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by wardsgirl View Post
    Oddly enough, I was scolded by a woman on the Guinea Pond/Flat Mountain Pond Trail yesterday for not wearing blaze orange. I was wearing orange pants and a blaze yellow longsleeved top. Is the wearing of blaze orange a requirement for hiking in hunting season?
    Nope. High visibility colors are still high vis.

  13. #28
    Senior Member TCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,683
    Useful info here:

    http://www.ihea-usa.org/hunting-and-...e-requirements

    So in most of our areas on VFTT, there is no *requirement* to wear blaze orange. In states where there are actual requirements, the requirements are written to apply mostly to hunters, and not so much to other people in the woods.

    However, studies appear to support that blaze orange is the "most visible" color. So it's the color I recommend. And a hat or vest are good places for it, rather than pants or shoes. SAR studies show that things that are up off the ground, even a few feet, can consistently be noticed further away by an observer than things that are closer to the ground.

  14. #29
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hiking the Slickrock
    Posts
    493

    Howwwwlll

    Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    ...I'm starting to wonder (not seriously) if in addition to the orange it's worth making a bunch of noise, both for being noticed and for scaring the game away. Jerk move, but it eliminates the "oh I was just taking the shot at the game and didn't see the person" issue.
    I often howl like a banshee if I think there is a chance a hunter might be in the area I'm passing though. Just as I do when in grizz country out west, and for the same reason. Both critters will attack before fully identifying the prey, although the grizz has a better sense of smell.

    IMHO hunting and hiking is not a viable "shared use" of the same patch of forest.

    And having had buck fever a few times while bow hunting, I know how hard it can be to delay the shot until you can fully see the target.

    cb
    How many 4Ks in the NE100?
    All of em.

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    4,915
    A FYI on hunter orange versus other high visibility colors. Almost every hunter has to take a hunter safety license at some point to get a license. Hunter Orange is the color that is drilled into them. When I was scout in the early seventies, hunter orange was somewhat new to scene. The traditional safety color at the time was red and the hunter safety courses were pushing the big increase in visibility afforded by Hunters Orange. I expect 40 plus years of hunters have been trained that orange is not a deer which is a good reason to stick with orange.

    I remember that anyone completing a hunter safety course in Maine at the time would get an LL Bean belt pouch made out of hunters orange which was intended to hold a "How to survive in the Maine Woods" pamphlet and a self assembled survival kit. An interesting aside is that Maine has a growing population of Menonites and Amish, they will not wear hunters orange as it is not in keeping with their beliefs, they now can get a waiver from wearing orange and wear red instead.

    For those paranoid about hunters in the woods, you can always hike in Maine on Sundays as there is no hunting on Sundays

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •