Sleeping Pads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bourque

Reaction score
It's time for me to replace my sleeping pads. As I've gotten older I have found I need a more comfortable pad to sleep well in the woods. When I was young, a thin ensolite pad was enough. Now I'm using two Therm-a-Rest pads and, being a side sleeper, I realize it's time for an upgrade. I have been looking at the Big Agnes Q-Core Deluxe pads. Any thoughts and experiences with sleeping pads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Which Therm-a-rest pads were you using? Having owned a few Big Agnes pads I can't say I'd recommend them. They tend to lose air and I find them "slippery" (sliding off in the night is easy). BA should stick to tents and sleeping bag, IMO.

I have found no better air-pad than a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir Xlite. Even sleeping on my side, this pad holds me off the ground. Very strong and robust pad considering its low weight and light material.

I have bought a Big Agnes Air Core pad and I was satisfied with it, so I got another one for my son. Unfortunately his was leaking right from the beginning. I did not want to take it back to REI as I thought that BA should fix, so I sent it back to them and they sent me a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement leaked as well but we did not find out until few months later as my son was not doing any overnights during that winter. After I contacted BA they offered to send me an updated version of Air Core but it took me several e-mails and phone calls to actually get it. The replacement seems to be ok so far. Given the hassle I had to go through to get a working replacement I doubt I will buy another BA pad again.

It's time for me to replace my sleeping pads. As I've gotten older I have found I need a more comfortable pad to sleep well in the woods. When I was young, a thin ensolite pad was enough. Now I'm using two Therm-a-Rest pads and, being a side sleeper, I realize it's time for an upgrade. I have been looking at the Big Agnes Q-Core Deluxe pads. Any thoughts and experiences with sleeping pads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

I have that exact pad and am also a side sleeper and I like mine. The somewhat higher side chambers help keep you centered nicely on the pad and it is pretty warm. The only thing I don't like (and this might be true of all inflatable pads - this is the only one I've owned) is it slides around very easily on the tent floor or foam pad. Need to come up with a good way of keeping it from wanting to move around. I toss and turn quite a bit though so this may or may not be a problem for you.

I too need a pad with actual padding these days. I like this review. My experience:
1. Lots of people like the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm. I bought it and wanted to like it, but I got no sleep on it. Constantly sliding off, and the shape seems to exacerbate the problem.
2. A friend had the Big Agnes pad and the valve started leaking. This problem is common enough that I won’t trust my comfort and safety to them. That said, I borrowed the pad BA sent her to replace the one that was leaking and I found it VERY comfortable.
3. I ended up returning my Thermarest and getting a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pad. So far I love it. Super comfy, packs down small, and has two independent air chambers, so even if one fails you’re still fine. Seems like a good design to me.

Hikers mix up a blend of silicone and solvent and paint strips of it on tent floors. It keeps the pads from sliding around.

Interesting. Wouldn't it make more sense to modify the bottom of the pad instead of the tent for warranty purposes? I've wondered if there was some sort of spray on product that would make the base of the sleeping pad tacky.

Most inflatable pads aren't flat like a tent floor. I just ran beeds of seam grip across my nettent floor. What if I dont use the nettent? Do I want sticks and stuff sticking to my fragile and pricey air mattress when I roll it up? Its easier patching my nettent floor. I’m sending an air mattress back to Exped for repair because I cant find the slow leak in it.