Glen Boulder Trail Winter Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Is there any available Winter parking at the Glen Boulder Trailhead on Rte 16? I know they gate the lot but I seem to remember some space on the access road before the gate as well as along the guard rail on Rte 16 near the actual parking area. Does any of this get plowed enough in Winter for parking, is it legal and if so how many cars would you estimate could fit on a "typical" day? Figured maybe with the skiing routes in the area the lot may be in use but I rarely hike from this area in Winter and don't really recall. I've done Slide Peak a few times in late Fall but I've always parked at Pinkham and taken the Direttissima over to Glen Boulder. I don't care much for that trail and the added half mile or so versus Glen Boulder, especially at the end of the day. If I could ascend directly from Rte 16 it would be preferable.

And as a related question, does anyone ever do Isolation in Winter via this route the way many do in the Summer (Glen Boulder and Davis Path)? The AMC 4000 Footer Guide doesn't make any mention of this as an option for Winter routes so I don't know if it gets broken out at all or if Rocky Branch and Engine Hill Bushwhack is essentially the only route used for Winter ascent of Isolation.

Appreciate any info. Thanks.

There is no attempt to plow the Glen Boulder parking road in the winter. That said, folks do park along the west side of Rt 16 which normally is not an issue as long as there hasnt been snow in the last 48 hours. Most hikers are using this parking to access Wildcat Ridge trail but I expect some folks use this route to go to Isolation. Given the potential exposure and Davis Paths reputation of filling in with snow and blowdowns, I would speculate it gets less use the Rocky Branch approach.

Too bad folks no longer use the second bushwack to the col just north of the summit spur. There is only one rough track on Strava that lines up with it. That used to cut out even more mileage and extra elevation.

Too bad folks no longer use the second bushwack to the col just north of the summit spur. There is only one rough track on Strava that lines up with it. That used to cut out even more mileage and extra elevation.

I am/was interested in that route. I recall a discussion about it a few years ago. Certainly seemed to make more sense than going out and around. But I don't really remember the woods in that area and how thick they are or aren't. I hike alone so significant trail breaking would likely derail any attempt I made that way unless others had been through already.